I like this very much - I have some Piazolla stuff, it's really music that you have to give a moment to then it starts to work its spell over you, I'm at work, but for a moment I've been somewhere else - on a street in Buenos Aires maybe
Citizen, hello. could you recommend an album? I've been trying to find Carlos Gardel's Madreselva but it doesn't seem to be on youtube.
Borges has a great little essay on tango. In fact, it ties in somewhat with what you were saying about the State and individuality.
I've always thought that so much of modern British identity is intimately connected to the State or, more specifically, with the narratives of the nation-state, that other, less 'abstract' forms of identity and individuality get crowded out. As Simone Weil once said, the state is cold concern. In this sense I think that it is entirely possible that the muslims will remain as the last 'Englsih eccentrics', refusing system . Well, maybe.
Of course, they need to that in an open way, ways which are rooted in their own traiditions of the radical centre and not in a conservative , 'exclusive' way.
And yet, and yet..D.H.Lawrence once said that the English will never have 'citizens' because it doesn't have any great cities (I think the comparison was with the classical world). This is, perhaps , to miss the point. The citizens of the State have neither local roots or an affinity with the 'city of God.'This is Foucalt's point, I think: atomisation or 'subjectification' (how pretentious is that!) goes hand in hand with the total power of the state.
the only Piazzola I have are an album of a concerto for bandelion and tango for orchestra he wrote, I like orchestral stuff and it works very well, I think it's a Nonesuch release and avaliable - there was a commeration series recently and I've got a disc of his with electronic overlay which is good, and something else that I left in UK, which was tango music tradtionally arranged the cover was seductive tango and that, so I bought it! but I can't remember the title - I'll try to read the Borges where can I find it?
3 comments:
I like this very much - I have some Piazolla stuff, it's really music that you have to give a moment to then it starts to work its spell over you, I'm at work, but for a moment I've been somewhere else - on a street in Buenos Aires maybe
Citizen, hello.
could you recommend an album? I've been trying to find Carlos Gardel's Madreselva but it doesn't seem to be on youtube.
Borges has a great little essay on tango. In fact, it ties in somewhat with what you were saying about the State and individuality.
I've always thought that so much of modern British identity is intimately connected to the State or, more specifically, with the narratives of the nation-state, that other, less 'abstract' forms of identity and individuality get crowded out. As Simone Weil once said, the state is cold concern. In this sense I think that it is entirely possible that the muslims will remain as the last 'Englsih eccentrics', refusing system . Well, maybe.
Of course, they need to that in an open way, ways which are rooted in their own traiditions of the radical centre and not in a conservative , 'exclusive' way.
And yet, and yet..D.H.Lawrence once said that the English will never have 'citizens' because it doesn't have any great cities (I think the comparison was with the classical world). This is, perhaps , to miss the point. The citizens of the State have neither local roots or an affinity with the 'city of God.'This is Foucalt's point, I think: atomisation or 'subjectification' (how pretentious is that!) goes hand in hand with the total power of the state.
the only Piazzola I have are an album of a concerto for bandelion and tango for orchestra he wrote, I like orchestral stuff and it works very well, I think it's a Nonesuch release and avaliable - there was a commeration series recently and I've got a disc of his with electronic overlay which is good, and something else that I left in UK, which was tango music tradtionally arranged the cover was seductive tango and that, so I bought it! but I can't remember the title - I'll try to read the Borges where can I find it?
Post a Comment