The west abandons mythological repetition only to impose on itself a repetition diffused through matter.
---Roberto Calasso.
It's interesting because we think of modern western life as a passage through fleeting and evolving landscapes, but at the same time we can literally barricade ourselves into self-sustaining little worlds that we can watch perpetually go round; favourite books would do this, now we have the entire season of whatever on DVD, entire worlds we can disappear into, all the time.
---Citizen.
I've written on this before (Dec.10th : 'Repetition and Ritual' ) and I don't quite understand this compulsion to repeat. Perhaps living in a riskier world means there is a greater need to find security in the familiar and so we repeat ourselves. Perhaps living in an age which has broken free from circular time and stepped into the irreversible, the radically new, such conservation isn't that surprising. Christopher Booker wrote that the future stopped in the Seventies-since then we've been mad about conservation: retro culture, but also ecology and knowledge. And here we have the great paradox: a system that has no regard for the past, that is founded on the destruction of the past, goes to great lengths to preserve it in museums and libraries.
Whenever I go to the British Library I feel as if I'm returning home. The great black monolithic space at the centre is , I'm sure, a sort of Ka'ba for some. And yet, the books on display there serve to emphasise knowledge as a spectacle, something that is out of hand, encased and preserved from withering time. Is this so different from the Eloi? Fourteen million books and documents and counting...
C on the Internet:
Information. Photographs. Life history. Everything is stored in the archives. God help us if there's a glitch. Everything is remembered by the relentless eye. We will have vast storehouses of knowledge..and no one will be able to read or have the time to do so! There's something obscene, perhaps, in the way in which the images of those who have passed away continue to be present on the Internet. It's not good manners! The dead should be buried and not be made visible like that (of course, the past should live on, but in life and in memory, in an appropriate place, not an open space).
But perhaps we are being hasty here. For does not the light of stars long extinguished still reach us and delight us? And these irises and bluebells..were they not melancholy people we once knew, and this sunflower here, was she not a brilliant soul I once met? So many of the dead live amongst us...
The first thing a stranger notes about London is how homogeneous its building are. Everything and everyone looks the same (this is not just the usual, instinctive stereotyping..it is worth asking the question of how local distinctiveness was worked over first by industrialisation and then by the media into a 'mass society': housing, clothes, tastes). How odd that a society that prides itself on individualism should live under the sign of the Same!
Saturday, January 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
cheers for quoting my musings;)
In fact now that I'm here at a computer I've forgotten the Badiou St Paul book, I was going to quote from it -
This morning I was conversing with my better half, she has started to get very interested in food, where it comes from and how it's made, the medical/chemico/food complex so to speak. The fact that flavour is litterally bled out in the obession to homogenise and pasturise means we may eat more in search of a diminshing returns of satisfaction. I'm afraid it occured to us in the high paranoid fashion that addiction is of course an excellent means to limit human freedom, a means to persuade individuals to circumscribe and regulate their behaviour. We're sold on the idea that addiction is threatening in the sense that it promises violence against society, addiction is really though the means to passification of society, as in 'we are all Eloi now'
I know I've jumped here a little but we have small notion of how our consumption patterns sustain regulatory and productive schemes that are not primarily about health or our best interests.
Perhaps instead of subsistence reinforcing hierarchical society, we have to have 'addiction' as the regulatory principle, modifiying
Foucault of course, and from my perspective a little bit of neauveux hippie distrust. Though whereas what provoked concern in the sixites was more or less an instinctive outcry against some modern mores, what we are starting to see is something much more founded on comprehension of concrete realities.
I have problems with 'Matrix' style thinking, to understand how these sorts of complexes develop there is an interesting article in the New Yorker (I think)
about a guy called Lovine (I think, I'm terrible with names) who talks about how perverse incentives function pervasively (his words) to prevent better and cleverer solutions to energy problems for instance.
I could go on and would like to respond to your thoughts about the disappearance of language-worlds, the ontological dislocation and such
I liked very much the idea of the Crow in some sense anticipating a point in the future when their experience will be redeemed - recuperated in the jargon,
I hope you enjoy London though, I envy you walking through the British Museum, I did a MA at Birkbeck a few years ago and I loved walking through the museum (because they had just opened the main court)at night.
Being a Londoner is the only real appellation I would accept without qualification, but over the years I've realised the best parts of London are all the things that don't really resemble a metropolis, on the scale of Paris, or New York, to mention places I could compare it to. Those bits of London that play the grand dame are a little half-hearted, because someone wasn't willing to bulldoze half the city, or couldn't be bothered to finish the scheme. Of course there are spectacular bits, like the Thames but if you have the chance go to the Horniman museum in Forest Hill near Dulwich. I used to despise the mundaness of surbane London, now I think it's tinged with a magic, but 'shut up already'!
Citizen, can only respond to a few of your points right now.
Yes, wanted to relate Crow to Kant's 'What may I hope' and , more mportantly, to two texts: one by Hans Jonas, Is Faith possible?, and the other by Iqbal : Is religion possible?
Yes, Engalnd is always great when she is small and my favourite parts of London are the small, hidden parks and Churches..the Churches are always much better than the mosques because there are so few people in them!
The Horniman is fanatstic. In particular, I love the music section and could stay there all day. Dulwich gallery down the road is awful though.
Birkbeck! What a co-incidence. I'm teaching some courses for their continuing education programme.
BTW, C, who often comments here, gave me a wonderful book that you might be interested in; it's called 'A London child of the seventies' (I think) by Molly Hughes.
1870's , that is.
Post a Comment