
When the child was a child,
it didn’t know that it was a child,
everything was soulful,
and all souls were one
When the child was a child,
it awoke once in a strange bed,
and now does so again and again.
Many people, then, seemed beautiful,
and now only a few do, by sheer luck
When the child was a child,
It reached for cherries in topmost branches of trees
with an elation it still has today,
has a shyness in front of strangers,
and has that even now.
It awaited the first snow,
And waits that way even now.
To wake up in the morning and find the earth covered by a blanket of snow is one of the joys of childhood. The earth recovers something of her primitive simplicity, her spontaneity. The snow slows down time...
And still, it must be said, the first snowfall of the season has the capacity to fire the imagination, to rekindle the innocence that some thought was lost. Like an underground stream that suddenly emerges into the open, we are reminded that though some things may be forgotten or hidden from our eyes we can always reclaim the lost treasures. Time can be regained...
A hundred new worlds lie in its verses
Whole centuries are involved in its moments
----The Allama
Who is to say only me? To say 'I' is already to affirm the speech and language of others, is already to place oneself in the world. The stones, the trees, the kingfishers also affirm...
Who is to say there is only time? To recognize time, to take joy in a fleeting moment, to be aware of the deep rhythms of the seasons, is already to point to what lies beyond time, to understand that the miraculous is already folded in the moments of time.
3 comments:
8 a.m. The phone rings. 'It's snowing', shouts Alice in high excitement.'There's loads and loads of snow. It's in my garden!'The first experience of snow, the wonder and amazement of it all. How sad, I think - it can never happen again.
Memory being what it is, my own first recollection of snow is in the West Country. After Christmas there were heavy falls.My dad still had to leave me with a minder, while he went back to work in London. I watched from the cottage window as he trudged up the snowy path and disappeared from view in the whiteness.
Alice asks:'Is there snow at your house?' Sadly, I have to report No. By some vagary of the weather patterns, in the North there's no suggestion of snow.
Hmm..yesterday I was going to write back and say wonder can always happen again.
Today I'm feeling less optimistic and so I agree with you!
Anyway, I thought the "snow was general all over England"...
Well, Billo, maybe I'm unduly pessimistic, and maybe for some snow will always seem miraculous. And no, snow was not 'general all over England'- but we saw a dusting of it on the Scottish hills across the Firth.
Post a Comment