Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Question Me an Answer

She smiled at the questions, as if to say: 'And if I answered you, would you know me then?'
----Courtesy of Rinku

Verily towards God for the Lord is thy Limit.
(Q: 53:42)


The Sufi's book is not composed of ink and letters:
it is a heart white as snow.
The scholar's possession is pen-marks.
What does the Sufi's own?
---- foot-marks.....

The Sufi stalks the game like a hunter:
he sees the musk-deer's footprints and follows.
For a while he traces these lines,
but then it is the musk that is his guide.
A hundred stages along the track,
years of aimless wandering,
are nothing to a single leap guided by the scent of love.

--After Rumi

Modern man wants to know everything, to see from God's point of view. He is compelled to reduce everything to his own terms of self-understanding on pains of admitting the possibility of the impossible, the existence of the ("ghayb")unknown, and a reality that he has not shaped. It is, as Levinas once said, a defence mechanism of bourgeois man. Nothing unsettles him more than the thought that truth is not of his making.

But how can I know? We ask all the wrong questions. Already we see the substitution of second-order questions for primary ones of ethics: how do we live a good life? It as if his questions are only posed to, and therefore answerable by, his mind. For all of his dazzling intelligence we have to say that it is , ultimately, only of a technical kind: dry, abstract, and formal. On the other hand, there is an integral intelligence that eludes him -and this requires the virtues (both moral and intellectual)....Hearts and minds.

Most importantly , there is an awareness that wisdom resides in understanding and intuition; that there is meaning and that there are values that cannot be captured by our conceptual frameworks. Ibn Arabi reminds us that God created us with two hands....Blake would say that we see the world through both eyes and in a sublimely profound phrase: he who sees ratio sees only himself.
What can science tell us of friendship or art or poetry and music ..and what of love? Even by its own lights it has nothing to say of the soul or God. That we have the freedom to act in a causally ordered world...is this not a miracle in itself ?

There is questioning and there is a quest from within faith (Anselm). A beautiful phrase from the late Pope in Fides et Ratio has it: Faith illuminates possible paths for reason. This is what Attar would call the 'trackless way'...

Living Thought vs the dead letter of philosophy:
(From Bachelard)
A shifting, striving style of soul that doesn't fix itself to any one identity or idea. A concept is an idol, a stepping stone. 'Reverie shatters old forms and frozen images', opens up vision to ever fresh vistas of the world, to ambivalence, wonder and freedom. De-cision is a new beginning. Unity is not given but is an 'asymptotic goal', a potentiality,a direction: Desert theology. (Which takes us back to Levinas: the city dreams of totality, not of infinity).

Concept is to image as mind is to soul. One cannot study an image, only admire it (mirablis, miraculous, wonder, admiratio).

G. Bataille:
To seek sufficiency is the same mistake as to enclose being in some sort of point. We can enclose nothing, we can only find insufficiency.

Life will dissolve itself in death, rivers in the sea, and the known in the unknown.

It is the unknown that compels us to love [the key is not to look for a final solution-which is a death wish-or salvation, but to live one's soul (D.H.Lawrence) ]

God is in us at first the movement of spirit which consists-after having passed from finite knowledge to infinite knowledge-in us passing , as if through an extension of limits, to a different non-discursive mode of knowledge , in such a way that the illusion arises from a satisfaction-realized beyond us- of the thirst for knowledge which exists in us.'




7 comments:

Unknown said...

"there is an awareness that wisdom resides in understanding and intuition"

I agree with you here.

Beauty, morality, love—these things escape the formal intellect of the common person. They are understood emotionally and intuitively.

I'm an artist, musician, poet, and romantic. I am intimately familiar with the value of aesthetics and feeling.

Where we differ is how we ascribe these qualities. I need no spiritual concept to explain them.

"But how can I know? We ask all the wrong questions. Already we see the substitution of second-order questions for primary ones of ethics: how do we live a good life?"

I can answer the question of how to live a good life based on my intuitive understanding of moral behavior and my personal ambitions.

However, asking what might explain where such intuitions and ambitions come from is another subject altogether. Personally, I credit evolution for humanity's tendencies.

Still, I think you are right to place morality ahead of understanding.

Unknown said...

I forgot to mention who I am. ;)

Unknown said...

Oops. I meant to say, "Still, I think you are right to place morality ahead of knowledge."

billoo said...

Thanks for your comments. I'd offer you some tea but I've heard that Americans don't drink it:) I don't think we differ as much as you think. There is no need for a spiritual "concept"*..they are already 'spiritual'in some sense.

I have little to add to your thoughtful words. And I certainly don't want to go start a discussion on evolution of which I know next to nothing !

So, peace to you Jason.

*But one does need bridges...

Unknown said...

I love tea :)

Lenoirre said...

I think understanding should come before morality. Aristotle believes that people do things because they are good. If one doesn't know the good, one can't have knowledge about morality or anything. If you know what good is, you know what is not good and that's basically what morality is about. Does that make sense?

billoo said...

Luz, I understand what you're saying. All I'd add is that i think understanding is not necessarily the same thing as knowledge. We can intuit the good, move to it through love , or follow it via duty, tradition. In all these , we act and 'thought' is already contained in the actions. Where does the 'inner' end, and the outer begin?

Thanks for your comments.

Regards,

K.