Friday, April 13, 2007

Sacramento Blues

The trouble with Oakland is that when you get there, there isn't any there there.
---Gertrude Stein

The ultimate American paranoiac fantasy is that of an individual living in a small idyllic Californian city, a consumerist paradise, who suddenly starts to suspect that the world he lives in is a fake, a spectacle staged to convince him that he lives in a real world, while all people around him are effectively actors and extras in a gigantic show.
----Zizek.

The Sacramento papers, however, simply mirror the Sacramento particularity, the Valley fate, which is to be paralyzed by a past no longer relevant.
---Joan Didion.

Wandering races have such looks, the bones of one tribe, the skin of another.
---Saul Bellow

Go west. You will find yourself. But behind the push outwards is also a desire to escape from what one is. I am not what I am. The appeal of Houdini, the quintessential escape artist, in a century that will worship the self-made man, the man who can re-invent himself. We are the result of a series of journeys, of decisions made by other people. What happened to those parts of us that stayed behind, the dead branches of our future?

I have already lost touch with a couple of people I used to be.

And on this journey, those at the end of it are handed down, from generation to generation stories and words and particular gestures that are borne amidst those harsh tribulations: a frontier mentality. The womenfolk pass along delicate heirlooms, reminders of a lost world, whilst the men, preserve an ethos whose identity depended on the vigilant assertion of boundaries. All the time, things accumulate, like the debris of history, stored for use later on.

He was apt to feel this mysterious weight, this growth or collections of nameless things it was the business of his life to carry about. That must be what a man is for...
(Bellow)

Each child born into such a lineage, that of the sea-gypsies, those who pine for the open road, was himself a radical new beginning. they would always remain marginal people, looking in from the outside, quirky, eccentric, utterly unreconciled to the larger movements of the times, the consensus of history.

Starting in the 1940's , linked booms in aerospace and real estate were turning millions of newcomers into Californians..[they] tended to see the land as subdividable , not hallowed and bet their lives on the future.

But the conservative part of us was resolute, it was suffused with the conviction that we had long outlived our finest hour. From now on there could only be obsolescence, a style of soul that is out of sync with the times. Style is character, the place where the self meets the world. And if the world moves on?The times , they are a changin'. In the speculative booms, those who choose to remember the past also fear being buried by it. The dark memory of the sea, that loss of life that haunts the present.

Southerners are people who find strength in the maintenance of ritual-those who insist against all odds on remembering. The northern mind, on the other hand , is restless, abstract and despises the sun-and-wheat-consciousness of the brown-eyed ones. And yet, something tugs at the heart of the traveler: the tragedy of too quick an unmooring from the past. How much of the past do we, should we, carry forwrad. Too many lives have gone into making this one. Is the only reality the journey itself?

The afternoon heat would bleach those towns so clean that the houses and the buildings seemed always on the verge of dematerializin; there was the sense that to close one's eyes on a Valley town was to rsik opening them a moment later on dry fields, the sun bleaching out the last traces of habitation, a flowered straw hat, a neon advertisement which hasd blinked a moment before from a wall no longer visible.
...
...

--citations: Joan Didion, New Yorker

4 comments:

Celia said...

I just love Gertrude Stein!
She also said (but can't recall where the quote was from):

Americans are very friendly and very suspicious, that is what Americans are and that is what always upsets the foreigner, who deals with them, they are so friendly how can they be so suspicious they are so suspicious how can they be so friendly but they just are.

And do you know her famous Last Words? -
Sighing deeply she said:What is the answer? No one present replied.
Well, then, she went on, What is the question?

billoo said...

Haven't read her. Any recommendations?
I'm trying to work Bellow into this post..I actually finished a book today (hurrah!)..one down, twelve to go!

Btw, re-read V.S.P's 5 page essay, 'life at 80'. superb stuff!

Celia said...

To be perfectly honest, I've TRIED to read Gertrude Stein, but really wouldn't recommend it! If you feel you MUST, try her Autobiography of Alice B.Toklas. (Toklas was her life-companion and lover and left Gertrude bereft when she died first.)That's relatively accessible. Don't even open Tender Buttons.

She said this at one point:

"I am writing for myself and strangers. This is the only way that I can do it..."

But strangers often find it all very strange to the point of incomprehensible!

He best 'bon mot' was on her return from Europe to America, when she was lionised. The press met he off the boat and the question was asked: 'Oh, Miss Stein, why don't you write the way you speak?' To which she replied: 'Why don't you read the way I write?' Touche!

The following is lifted from an on-line biography:

Gertrude entered Radcliffe College in 1893. As a student she developed a special philosophical relationship with her teacher, William James. James told her, "I hope you will pardon me if you recognize some features of my ideal student as your own."

On a particularly nice spring day during final exams in James' course she wrote at the top of her paper...

"Dear Professor James, I am sorry but really I do not feel a bit like an examination paper in philosophy today."

The next day she received a postcard from James saying, "I understand perfectly how you feel I often feel like that myself." and then gave her the highest mark in his course.

She remained in France until her death on July 29, 1946, at 72 years of age. The majority of her work was unpublished at her death, or published only with very small press runs. Her legacy remains debated in terms of status in the canon, but it is agreed that she is a major figure of the Modernist period. The claim that she is experimental to the point of complete unintelligibility only applies to certain of her works, and her style evolved over time and went through several phases. The fact that her works continue to be reissued by major publishers 60 years after her death speaks to her continued appreciation and importance.

I will try to read 'Life at 80' as it may come in handy in a few years time!

But I can't claim to have finished a book today - gardening in the priest's garden.

Celia said...

When I said I LOVE Gertrude Stein, I think I meant I love the IDEA of Gertrude Stein! And I do very much like her snappy one-offs. 'A rose is a rose is a rose' is still perfect, even after it's been hackneyed to the ultimate.