Tuesday, July 29, 2008

For



For the people I'll never know, the places I'll never see, the lives I'll never live...

I, like a river ,

Have been turned aside by this harsh age.

I am a substitute.

My life has flowed into another channel

And I do not recognize my shores.

O, how many fine sights I have missed,

How many curtains have risen without me

And fallen too.

How many of my friends

I have not met even once in my life,

How many city skylines

Could have drawn tears from my eyes.

---Anna.

2 comments:

* said...

i have for a long time had the thought of writing one day a book which i would dedicate: "To all the Unseen, with all my love"
for this is just the nice thing, all that what is unseen, such a gift it is though for one never knows what one would see though.... just out of a wistful gratitude that it exists, all the unseen, with all the consequences anna writes of.

billoo said...

anton, hello!

Hmm.
I find that so difficult-just to be grateful. I think we will, perhaps, always live with the opposite (opposites), the questions that children still ask: why am I, and not you?

bi-location: the desire to be in more than one place at the same time. The type of rootedness that allows us to be thankful to just live in the time and place that is assigned to us seems to escape us, no? But what would we be if we didn't have this longing for second spaces?

Even if something *had* to happen would we still be human if we didn't regret that it had to?