Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Rebecca

Here's the superb Rebecca Solnit talking about landscape and politics.

and here's a great little piece on finding time.

I was reminded of the latter when I was listening to a great radio show that has an eclectic selection of music (Radio 3's 'The Late Junction'); I listen to it mainly for the sheer surprise of finding something unexpected, novel, beautiful, and for the quietness of one and half hours of music.

And my friend said something interesting: you're merely "fishing"; that's of no use, you should be able to download it there and then, if you know what you like. Of course, I'm greatly drawn to that myself-if I read a review of a book I usually think: got to have it, amazon...or if I come to know of an interesting article: click, download, and print without a second thought.

But then the old Kashmiri laziness kicks in; still want to browse aimlessly through a book and a bookshop (especially second-hand ones); still want to read an actual book and not a print-out, listen to an LP or CD rather than something on the computer, and still a massive distrust toward googling, wikipedia, credit cards, mobile phones, having a million tracks on a machine smaller than a Kit Kat.

6 comments:

Folded letters said...

Thank you b! I'm so thrilled to have something to listen to tomorrow while I stain and hammer and put together a desk. Will comment after listening to Solnit's excerpt.

So the real books. Second hand books. I must be Kashmiri. It verges on a strange obsession for me...the used bookstore. It's all I can do to keep my car from sliding across 3 lanes of traffic at the last second, just to catch the exit. Personally, one of the biggest perks is the mess. Books all over the place. If they can't fit anymore vertically, then they stack more on top horizontally. You crane your head back just to see allll the books up on the top shelves. Bedlum....what could be waiting to be found? I just had an idea.

Where's my tea? You're getting me all excited and high blood pressured.

billoo said...

n. fl, just a quick one..I've gott o rush to prepare a lecture..the irony of it all!..rush!

but just to say. I haven't listened to the talk yet. If you get the chance read her 'Field guide to getting lost'. Really good.

Well, err..umm..can't comment on the last line! :-)
Perhaps *after* I break my fast. You don't know how hard it was to write the word 'Kit Kat' in that post ! :-)

okay, bye.

b.

Manuela said...

the word 'laziness' is already a judgment, isn't it - i say we reclaim the word, as other words have been reclaimed before.

and how is koala doing?
m

billoo said...

n, okay, serious hat on.

Yes! the mess..so true. That's it! I went to book fair last Dec. and found some great stuff (which I never read but palmed off on to the dougal) at one "shop" It was just dodgy shelves thrown together, crammed with books and a table with books flung there randomly.

Also like to old shops which would have a step ladder to reach those impossible-to-read titles.

And one of the strangest shops here ('Readings') has all sorts of whacky stuff (a whole shelf of chicken soup books-that's not what you think-and books randomly placed next to one another: Kama sutra next to dances with cats (that is what you think), next to, I dunno, lots of 1970's books on gardening. And, oh yeah, you might find some Hegel in- between!

billoo said...

hello, mani!

Oh no, not a judgement, it's just a way of life!

No, reclaiming would be too much effort! :-)

koala is feeling sick right now (where's my bloody tea!). I'm tempted to just lock my door and go to sleep. Last time I didn't lock my door and the Head of Department walked in. Quite embarrassing given that I was sleeping on the floor!

Have you settled down into wherever you were going?

Hope all is well.

ciao,

b.

Folded letters said...

b, I had to chuckle (very quietly...it's late) but I think my bookstore is just like yours. Chicken Soup aisle....yup. Section actually. Lots of people buy those books when they're shiny new, but then seem to hurry and shove them into a cardboard box and anonymously donate them to the book man. He doesn't seem to be able to move the things.

Now! If only there was a book about dancing cats practicing Kama Sutra....this would be a more pleasant world. Perhaps we could self publish...Photoshop
something together...and ship them off to the Taliban. Haha! Now I'm laughing at my absurdity. Ahhh...

hehe...what comment? I wasn't mad about anything. I only have a warm center for you b. Night :)