Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Ur, Un-

I am. We are

That is enough. Now it is up to us to begin. Life is placed into our hands. It has long since become empty. It sways back and forth, but we stand firm.
---Ernst Bloch.

Life, as the great unblocking of hindrances, the great opening-up of possibilities, a clearing for the emergence of the unscripted, the unthinkable, the site of forward-dreaming; life is also the realm of constraint, constriction and delimitation.

There is no way out of the song of gratitude and complaint
As long as the wisp of breath exists, this harmony remains the same.

---from Mir Dard.

This is the nature of the fabric we wear,that was woven for us, the warp and woof of it; there is no going back to nakedness, to "purity", to some Ur-moment or Ur-place. The song of innocence is over and yet hasn't your whole life been about clinging on to that thread, about keeping things undone, and, mind you, not always in simple ways...wasn't reading, for instance, also a way out, a distancing of yourself from yourself...the letter that does not killeth?

Not this, not that. Not to speak of 'I', or to look for a name, ideology, religion, but the direct, fresh, unmediated experience of bare life itself, a vivid life that opens up to, on to, the unfolding mystery and wonder of the un-nameable, that is startled into awareness? Why do you think of Rothko here, of Jewish aniconism?

5 comments:

* said...

b hello,
can you recommend me a good iris murdoch book? i never have read any of hers and thought i give it a shot. do you have any idea where i could start? hope all is well
.a

billoo said...

good morning, anton!

'Metaphysics as a guide to morals' is something I keep on returning to again and again (partly because of poor reading habits & an undisciplined mind , but also partly-I'd like to think at least-because there are lines, passages, that I'd rather reflect on and let sink in).

Hard to explain, really. Some line or passage strikes me and I think: how to live that.

anyway, a lot of it may be old hat for someone like you who's read philosophy.

'sovereignty' is also very good.

haven't read any of her novels. Have you? Wanted to try 'the green knight' (partly because I love that old story, and partly because one of the characters is called Mir!).

Yes, all is well. sort of.

Are you writing something? A book?

Keep well,anton.

b.

Celia said...

Welcome back, b. So, the real world, and real beginnings, impinge but don't completely overwhelm. That's good.

To asnswer the Iris Murdoch question: I've read her - a lot in years gone by. My recommendation for a first go at her is The Sea, The Sea. (The title's a quote, by the way - look it up.) It's largely about the illusions of old age and the futility of trying to reclaim one's youth.But I think, now, that maybe only persons over about 50 should read it. In fact, maybe that appplies to ALL Murdoch's novels?

Anonymous said...

thanks, C! :-)

indeed, that was the book i was looking for here (with no luck)
but on second thoughts, if it's about the *futility* of trying to reclaim...i'm not sure I'll look at it at all!

love the new photo, btw!

keep well, dearest celia.

hello!

b.

* said...

hi
i haven't read any of her novels or other stuff. but i have one lying around her and i will look out for the sea (thanks c) and the metaphysics one.
besides b, couldn't agree more with what you wrote above about the evolutionjunk.