Little orange monkey, spying that R was quite sad (well, at least it looked like that from afar) , decided to come down from the great skies and cheer her up.
So, monkey came down, like a spider on a vertical silvery thread, rattling and shaking as he did.
That's all very dramatic, thought R to herself.
At first R just kicked little orange monkey in the face.
"Go away!"
"That's not very nice", said monkey and he wondered if all girls would kick him like this.
"Well", said R, somewhat irritated, "I was thinking Very Deep Thoughts"
"Oh", said little orange monkey, quite surprised. "I'm so, so very sorry, please forgive me, how could I, what a fool I am" and so on and so forth.
R couldn't stop laughing at this strange creature's subservient attitude. "Oh do stop, you're making my stomach split with laughter"
"But I am a god", said orange monkey in his most serious voice.
"You?! You're not a god because no matter whether I laugh or cry you still have that same silly smile on your face"
"Is a god judged by how he reacts to a human face? asked monkey, quite sure that he'd asked a question that was far too difficult for such a silly little girl. These are the highest problems, the ultimate questions, thought monkey.
By now R had begun to forget those very deep thoughts; it was far more fun to ridicule this...whatever it was. Are all men so stupid and pompous, she wondered to herself.
"You're not a god. Why, you're just a Chinaman. It says so here: 'Made in China'. I'm quite good with words, you know"
But what am I , who am I?, asked little orange monkey. And for the first time in his life he was unsure of himself. Why, in her presence, has my identity suddenly become a problem?, he asked himself.
Little orange monkey decided to dance near R's heart so that he could forget himself even more. So he shook and rattled and made all the noise he could.
"Oh do stop that, for heaven's sake!", said R, giggling. "I'm ticklish, and besides, it's no use, you're not from here".
Orange monkey, feeling quite defeated, thought it would be much better to go back home. 'No use talking to women,I see', he pondered. 'They don't understand cricket and most of then drink this horrible herbal tea'.
But as he was leaving, R reached out a hand to stroke his face. And it was done with so much gentleness that little orange monkey fell by her side.
And now R was sad again, because it seemed as if she had killed little orange monkey. Face to face at last, how strange this was.
They are no longer a wonder to each other; they are in the very heart of wonder.
"But I do know who you are, and I've always known your name, my dear little monkey. I'm quite good with words, you know"
(quotes from Rosenzweig-believe it or not!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
soooo??? what was his name?! it is not good to keep things hidden from your readers :-)
are these the kind of stories you tell little Rachel? no wonder she can't stop kicking you in the face! (just teasing you, it's lovely and more than this, it made me laugh :-)
have a nice week-end, rather strange oriental :-P
hmm..you'll have to ask her!
Well, yes, I do tell her stories. I think I'll tell her this one since it was her orange monkey rattle that I was talking about!
And it is *very* good to keep things hidden from my readers! :-)
have a good weekend too, Roxana.
salaams,
b.
I hope you save these stories for her. (like Roxana says, your writing could easily be in a book) Little R....I wonder about your Pops sometimes. hehehh
yeah you should save them for her. i'm sure that will make the little darling happy when it's a grown up little darling.
Dear anton, nikki, and roxana,
thank you so very much for your kind comments. Shucks...a bit lost for words here. Get out of here! :-)
Keep well,
b.
Post a Comment