Saturday, September 04, 2010
nostalgia for the particular
I see the night falling, darkening,
you see the stars shining.
Your mind blossoms, mine is withering
The words we shared dissolved as they're spoken
are worlds away from my love.
'Though I do not understand her words,
and may not know her heart
Is it not enough that one so beautiful
now speaks to me?'
She has foresworn her cruelty-but can she?
All wrath? All cruelty?
Be what you may.
I wish that all you are had been for me.
I shall write to you even without cause.
Simply to write your name fills me with love.'
---from Ghalib.
As was his language, so was his life.
---Seneca.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Had to look up Ghalib - such is my profound ignorance of Urdu poetry. Fortunately I have you to enlighten me!
But what did you mean about his language and his life. Far as I can find out from the (admittedly limited) resources of the Internet, his life wasn't particularly distinguished. All his poetry was written while he was very young. And then what?
(I should have learnt Urdu when I had the chance, shouldn't I?)
C, hello. No, it wasn't meant to be about Ghalib but more general, about all of us, I guess: if words shared dissolve what does that say about us?
gotta run. as usual, woefully under prepared!
:-)
keep well,
b.
Oh, heck! In that case, better watch what we say, eh? :-)
yep, better mind our words! :-)
but no, dear C..only "if". Some words stick, are remarkably resilient.
hmm...far too serious for this time of the day. can't think of any jokes right now.
just got in touch with my best friend from school via facebook. haven't heard or seen him for about 28 years!
okay, now i really do have to run!
ciao, ciao,
b.
Post a Comment