Rained on Friday. Not looking good.(Saxon bishop and all that)
~~~
Tolpuddle Martyrs, 1834.
~~~
The phrase, mad as a hatter comes from...mercury poisoning! (which was used in the production of felt).
~~~
Great books (still unread).
1. The Machiavellian Moment
2. Crowds and Power
3. The King's Two Bodies
4. Homo Ludens
5. The Theory of Moral Sentiments
6. Rembrandt's Eyes
7. Black Lamb and Grey Falcon
"Somewhat grandly, I called this the Mir syndrome, after the cosmonaut who said that he didn't read a page of the book he'd taken to the space station because his spare moments were better spent gazing out of the window."
---Geoff Dyer.
The full essay is here
2 comments:
and more books!!!
one would be tempted to ask, when do you have time for a world without books?
when I'm stuffing down those c.r.'s ..of course! [comes the obvious answer]
:-)
I was quite surprised that I'd actually read 200 pages of the MM book, only to give it up-fascinating though it was. I now realise there's some serious problem here: must be at least 30 books started and not finished! It gets worse..just yesterday I started reading 'the company of strangers', black lamb, and cheever's journals, then flicked back to sidgwick's ethics by schneewind. the end result being utter confusion!
any ideas what this problem is?
Help! where's that psychiatrist's couch of yours?!
Post a Comment