Wednesday, February 08, 2012

etc., etc., ...


"And finally, when you set about distilling, you acquire the consciousness of repeating a ritual consecrated by the centuries."

Something will be lost when those geeky bastards manage to put everything down on a computer or on the web.
At the book fair I managed to pick up a lovely little copy of Primo Levi's The Periodic Table and M. Peake's Gormenghast.

Wendell Berry continues to delight:

'He who would do good to another must do it in Minute Particulars'. I'm sure there's a common phrase about 'small kindnesses' but I can't remember it off the top of my head [would an American say off-eh the top] Probably because I've never used it...not: never had the occasion to use it, and not: never been aware of their importance but, rather, never affirmed them or really acknowledged them).

Smallness. The world in miniature. Not in a book. A book is in the world. Living as an outsider, a stranger, means that home is that world. You are scpetical of people who take that further and talk of the original home. As if to say: we must now move on from reflections and fragments.

Satanic mills, the wheels of commerce that move in opposition to one another, Man against Man (man against woman); humankind against nature, the timeless against time. Conflict and distinctions being what defines us: politically, spiritually. What would it be like to think with someone, for someone, of someone?

No comments: