Saturday, March 17, 2012
␢
...and the light came streaming in at around 11, through the long eastern windows, filling up the room with warmth and old times, patterning out the brightness in bars of shadows on the floor. there are at least two, possibly three, flies in the room. their brief lives of no account. we've been without electricity all morning. don't really care. the thought occurs to you: do we really need that much? as humans, i mean. it's a kind of liberating moment, a sharp moment of recognition, of freedom from the earth's minerals, ores, heartlands, rhythms, songs of necessity, like the ancient dream an astronaut carries with him into all that vastness...
you think of shire horses, englands of the mind, and thick slices of mature cheese. little r asleep, surrounded by all her friends, a closed book, 'the moon man', which she hasn't taken to yet. she is aware of his sadness, though.
the house is empty and quiet. in each room all you can hear is the patient and faithful near deathly-silence of clocks ticking. the only logic in the world. time in each room closed off, framed by glass and wood.
you turn to read, one leg up on the sofa, sprawled leisurely with your self-contained thoughts. De Lillo. a word, a line, begins to grate. my better self says i shouldn't care. it's this: "And he had a coke with a straw bending out of the can". it strikes you as totally superfluous (even though it's the reason for your stray thoughts to alight on something). it's troubling. who speaks like that? maybe a poet or a novelist, or God maybe..yes, God describing a situation..."I was about to strike that man down but he seemed so peaceful, "and he had..."
you have to let it go. don't be snared in the net. there's no sense to it. let the words fall away, like coins in the fairground slot machine. some count, others just fall down into the side-darkness. the relentless logic of the world and chance and fate and all the things you've never understood. only this time you've got to let it go, you've got to kind of will it into play. (I'm trying to help you out here, kid).
"but," she replies (as most women do)..."are you really?...Isn't this about you?" Her, with her high ideals, light from her eyes streaming into our world at 11..."why do you always follow the negative way, the path that no-one cares about or knows?it's like, you know, you're describing plants in darkest Peru by saying they're nameless, wonderless, no more open to our perceptions than shadowed stars.
..and you're not really a reader, let alone an attentive reader anyway. classics. holey moley! not even read more than handful of books, your straight-laced training in dismal subjects put an end to that. not that you set any great store by that. but it's remarkable just what a fake you are. anton, roxana, the dougal, darling C..throw their arms up in delight, like Puritans finally vindicated on hearing the confession of a degenerate. they say, somberly, 'we told you so'.
~~~
so, there you are, standing with your clean metal tray, trying for all your life to jam it back into the empty slot of the stacked up rack. you would have thought that after 5,000 years of civilisation the Chinese would have managed to figure out how to make a straight one, but this one just happens,as luck would have it, to be warped. i can sense some of the students behind me sniggering; others just become increasingly frustrated at my antics. For Christ's sake, fit already!
lunch had been as uneventful as always. this was, i guess,a fitting end to it, a final gloss on or reminder of the futility of putting up an appearance of restraint and cleverness. you sat though lunch, praying that no-one would talk to you. keep your head down and shovel the food in. you eat, but do not taste the food. a mark of how institutionalised you've become. old t, in his immaculate tweeds, harping on about the greatness of persia or some 18th century sub-continental sufi. my stomach churns. next to him, the slightly grotesque figure of the philosopher, dirt poor and a day away from stinking. there he is, rolling off quotes from Ghalib, wheeling out faintly ridiculous stories, when you'd expect him to elaborate on the logic or wittgenstein or whatever bunk it is he teaches.
i think i see thought everyone here, or maybe it's just my ability to see like a human being has been tarnished, whittled away. maybe that's why everyone sees through me. if we had better knives, i might slit my wrists...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Again, lovely story, B!
PS....You know B, thanks for your message y-day. All this back-and-forth with you must have honed my speaking skills. You really got me there, B- again, I should add- I have a speech impediment, that's precisely why I got stuck in the lousy sous-chef career & never made it to the the sanctified and magnified haven of the high & higher . Ain't I glad, now, I didn't put you down- although tempting, I must say, tempting-last morning, when you offered your imperative: "Speak! It's time to speak…). :) It was a huge tormentor the mind & soul, It took both will and self-control not to retort: You say: speak ! I say: think! You say: read! I say: write!. Luckily, memory fails me less and less these days, or 'tis the simple fact that it remembers before knowing forgets :)- must be all this yoga, and pilate & tai-chi- and just like that I heard you saying, in your truly true reclusive voice: Speech is overrated. So, I saw the ruse, B, and I let it go with the wind. Good for me, B, and do you know why? Cause I finally let it out with Chef Etienne- French, you see, it all lies in connecting the dots- today, 'cause that's how it is in life, you can't truly escape the imperatives of need, or want or will and, like dear Demostene- now, you see B, we adore the Greeks: you for Dionysus, I for the Dolmates,- I chewed on some stone, I jogged on the beach (of memory, of course), breathed in and out & found my speech. And so I said to my all-knowing chef: "Stop that French onion soup, at once! The crawfish boil is on demand!" You should have seen his face, dear B: shock, awe, rage, blush, passion, amor, & all things French but then, control: "Ok, show me, you dumb A, what do you have in store?" I said, in steady voice: " A vulgar dish, I know, dear Magnificent, but think about it: the secret is in the cayenne pepper!". He must have liked my brogue, my tone, or my control, 'cause soon he added: "Speak some more! How do you know? I used the opportunity to tell him, with newly-found zest and poise: "You see, dear Maitre, it's in the things you don't know when you know; and in the things you know, when you don't know!" Gosh, B, for a second there, I felt the love, or was it l'amour? It was: consequential, and cosmic, and…at loss of words, truly.Anyway, let's not get sappy here, thankfully we did acknowledge our penchant for corny. Anyway, B, hope you're happy for me. You inspired me here, I think I may be getting there (to the much coveted Chef haven) one day, speech impediment or not. And it's, in part, thanks to you, this fabulous stranger in my life: Bisous! (Now does this count as plain French, or what?)
PS B, sorry for the rushed text; just wanted to share this special moment with you. As you can see-and certainly you do SEE, B, even the guy at the Apple store says so, only I couldn't see!- I'm catering out of town for the weekend.
I'm so happy for you, A ! :-)))
that'll show him! Er..I'm getting slightly worried for you now though. I hope you don't use this new found fluency or whatever it is-not that you didn't have it before, of course- to verbally lash into him. then your next comment on the bs will be: oh, why o why did i listen to that silly black sun!
cayenne pepper?! bourgeois decadence, comrade! In my day and age we could only afford salt & pepper.
Gosh, A, you sound like the most philosophical chef imaginable!oohh..french onion soup..what's the secret...spread the word, man-cub (if you get that, I'll be mightily impressed...not *quite* your Montaigne, but pretty close nevertheless)
Keep well and have a good weekend!
Gosh B, your sweet concern & care…: now would you be my Papa Bear? :)
And, dear B, I'll never get it: as a sous-chef, I follow Maitre! So, please, do darkly-shine on me, would you, please?
sorry, no can do! struggling enough with the tiny terror, little r! :-))
I thought, nothing is to be taken seriously here... it wasn't really a question, B. Thanks for considering it, though...
where have you been, A?
Gone to town, B! Why? Missing me a bit? :) Gosh, i promise if I ever meet you, I'll make you the perfect soufflé.
Oh, okay. did you pick up anything interesting? Yes. A bit :-))
Hmm. you couldn't post it by any chance, could ya? :-))
B, a souffle is a happening: you need to be there to witness its sound and graceful collapse. But, don't start me on tales from the kitchen, again- that, a never-ending reservoir of narrative and wisdom. Just y-day, following a never ending debate over serrated knives I pointed again!- the obvious to Etienne: It is L'age de l'homme!
So, let's better go back to our Montaigne, now...wouldya? I say: Nuits sans nuits et quelques jours sans jours.
And B, I save the best for last: a bit to you is a lot to me :)...Oops, maybe the other way round: A bit to me, it's a lot to you. Nope, still not right. Both? Well, who can tell, really? Kindness, it's all kindness, our mutual kindness.:). Or is it goodness?
'graceful collapse'? Oh, I only want to eat it, not think about it, A! :-)
no, i like your tales from the kitchen. you really should write about them. I'm sure lots of people would be interested.although not *too* much wisdom..don't think we could stomach that (okay, okay, I know..poor joke but hey, it's still early here...give me time to happen before my graceful collapse)
Post a Comment