Saturday, March 24, 2012

the one thing necessary...




The deep, the fundamental and permanent needs of mankind. Beauty, meaning, truth? But we get on by, most of the time. Listen, first things first (Auden). Could kill for a cinnamon roll. Actually, Emmanuel made some last night but pesky old Fudge, the most sleepy-headed dog in the world, the Kashmiri of the animal kingdom, forced me to share my slice with her. Ho hum. Second things second, then. Muslims don't like dogs, especially black eyed ones...

~~~

I spend an inordinate amount of time watching children's programmes. You think to yourself: there must be millions and millions of hours of tapes, re-runs, youtube clips, digitally stored bites of data, 'out there'. There's something truly horrific about day-time television. You imagine yourself slumped in front of a television on an unending Tuesday afternoon, watching all of these wasted moments flash before your eyes, the volume turned down. Suddenly you feel sorry for God.

~~~

There's something about the brilliant, dazzling light of Argentina-or from what you see on the screen, anyway. That's all you have: a literary reference to 'Cuban blue', a song for Argentina and Wales, a scrap of a poem for darkest Peru, a newspaper clipping on Colombia kept in Iris Murdoch's Metaphysics. But that light, it makes you think of the life you haven't lived. To dream much, and to long for a place that is at once both utterly strange and deeply familiar at the same time.

Thirty years have passed since the war, the skirmish off dark waters that was orchestrated, you could sense, for the one summer day in which the flags and beer could be brought out. The warm glow of beauty, meaning, truth. Brought back from the messy shores, where only mythical beasts really live and where the place-names are unpronounceable. The high skies, the dragon-clouds, a moment when our lips were dry and 60-over one-day matches marked the pace of life; Sri Lanka still an exotic country in those days. Never look back...

But here he was, the man who shot the Argy down. Return to the straits, locate the time of day under southern skies (Drummer Hodge) when it happened. Find the man you killed, because after that was when you died. The high-drama of forgetting. Good soldiers kill and forget (or are forgotten).

"What do you want?" asks the sexy BBC presenter (you imagine that driving around with her under the lush light would have been enough but no...)

"I want closure".

Of course, the dog was lying. He wanted to relive it, the moment of truth, meaning, and beauty. This was it, the one thing necessary to our lives, so how could you let that go, how could time move on? He took delight, the ex-army man, the ex-man, in being shown the clock from the blown up vehicle, shattered to a stop at the exact moment when the Argy was hit. This was the medal, the treasure I've been looking for all my life, you imagined him thinking to himself.

He breaks down, tears streaming from his eyes. I've come for the names. I'm growing old and I want to go home. I kill for nothing. I'm growing old and I don't know here home is...

~~~

The one book, you say? I think it would be, A, a photo album of my family; this would be the one necessary book, the one necessary object on my desert island.

(Just realized, by a staggering coincidence the book you mention also happens to be by an Argentinian!)

10 comments:

A said...

Now, B, do I inspire you here? :) Please say no, I can't take the pressure! Loved this bit. I can tell you really like Hardy's poetry, you keep going back to it.

B- I specifically asked for a single book, not object ;)...but evade if so you wish.Was touched by your choice of object, nevertheless. I have a story about a divorcing couple arguing for years over....splitting their pictures. Tales of catering :). Anyway, I store pictures in my mind. Half of my mind is a file cabinet of instances, shots of a lifetime, owned or borrowed. The other half is words, arranged in clusters of various sorts.I reason with images and words. For instance, B missing me a bit a bright white brush stroke on a Pieter Breugel canvas.

:)

Best, A.

PS...sorry if any typos, can't proofread, sick as a (black-eyed) dog :)

billoo said...

if truth be told, it was the thought of that souffle that got me going (joshing with you, A!)

Ah, but it is a book, isn't it? it's got covers and pages and a story. all it lacks is words, really.

hmm. why not a fire on a winter's day instead of the white brush stroke? or Icarus, who flew too close to the (black) sun?

hope you get better soon, A. Cold, flu?

A said...

No prob, I say: Tell the truth, B.B. Wolf! [speaking of picture books, a funny children's book}. There you go, I was once a mystery reader for PS kids. The thing you do in your crass selfishness...

Thanks, yes, a cold flu!

Speaking of JCO< glad you brought her in, how do you feel about her? Honestly, she frightens me a bit...cuts me to ribbons, so to speak..though I saw an interview with her about her last memoir and she seemed rather human at times. Never took on her, other than a couple show stories, other bits and fragments... Wouldn't even know where to begin, to tell you the truth. Now, B, is it fair to assume to read her, or did you read a jacket , while window-shopping at B&N? :)

billoo said...

:-)

nah, actually did read her memoir-which I liked a lot (as did the swami). haven't read her fiction, only some her reviews in the NYRB. am tempted though. a bit of southern gothic never did anyone any harm and i am, after all (or so i have to convince myself), a black sun of sorts, even if a bit out of sorts nowadays.

A said...

Yes, it was an interview about her memoir of widowhood-read some of it, too- that started me seeing her at human proportions. She is sharp, B, really really sharp in conversation. And you know what? We-the sous-chefs- always say in the kitchen: The sharper the knife, the less you cry (which, btw, is a must when prepping for French onion soup). And I don't know what you gathered from her memoir, but what I did, was exactly this: she keeps her knives very, very, very sharp. Which, B, honestly, I find it a bit extreme.

But you are right on the Souther gothic dip...it textures well any narrative bit.

B, sorry to hear you are out of sorts. B(e) fine soon!

billoo said...

the french soup1 ha! i knew it..we'll finally get the secret recipe out of you one day, young lady. lay it on me man-cub (the recipe, I mean, not the knife!)

oh, okay, you're going to force me to put up some quotes now. maybe next week? don't think she is that sharp. just honest. honesty on its own isn't that interesting. but when there's craft involved , well..

"B(e) fine soon!"

will do my best, mother.
:-)

thanks for the well-wishes, A (gosh, that's sucha cumbersome phrase, it can't be right!)

A said...

Man-cub or mother, dear son? Am getting lost in play, here (Um, you really amended the meanings of this word for me). :)

Yes, do put those quotes. And, please, do dwell on that honesty thingy of yours. Sounds fascinating already.

billoo said...

maybe later, A. backlog of work and still a bit under the weather. so, bit of a break from here for a while, i think. let's see.

have a good weekend! :-)

b.

A said...

Hey, b.-son, remember how momma used to say when you were still a little one, fearful of the b.b. (big-bad) monsters?

"Monster, monster go away, little b wants to play!", 3 times...and just like that you were out there in the streets playing again: lost & found; hide & seek. :)

Anyway then: good luck on your pilgrim's progress. Do send postcards, tho! Hope weather turns fair.

Anonymous said...

No, i don't remember that all! the swami-or so legend has it-would just leave me to play with the ants in the shade. and i had a brick for a pillow. Gosh, that really does make it sound as if i had a deprived childhood! I blame it on dem dere elephants and donkeys!

weather is fair, a bit too fair for my liking, but there you go!