Thursday, May 03, 2012

When will these Saudi bastards fuck off?

Many years ago (about a 100) my ancestors left this place for the..er..crummy village that goes by the name of Lahore (via Amritsar). Hmm, not the brightest of sparks, those Mirs!

And now, as in many other places in the so-called 'Muslim world' we apparently have the Arabization of what, from the stories passed down to me, was/is a genuinely syncretic tradition. In fact, form my travels in the spectacularly beautiful Hunza, I'd say there's a lovely, gentle, Buddhist influence in the whole region. Why, o why, did they come down to the plains and mix with the fanatics and the flatlanders?

Hmm. I know someone from Srinagar occasionally pops up here on the black sun. Would love to hear your views on this. Today, my heart is saddened Roxana, anton, dear Celia and Beth and anon, and Bob, when I read this:

'In his sermon he whipped worshippers into a frenzy over Western aggression in Muslim lands, decried the acceptance of Western values among the population, and blasted Palestinians for harming their aspirations toward statehood by “living like Jews.” But he steered clear of the complex affairs of Kashmir, even as he ridiculed Sufi customs.'

---The Boston Review. 


~~~


1 comment:

billoo said...

Missing comments:
C:
Well, b, I too wonder what went wrong. All the Muslims I've ever known since I was young(and that's about 100 years ago, too)and those in my own family, were and are sincere, unassuming and never, ever proselytising.

But perhaps bad faith on the part of others, especially America and Israel, has exacerbated fundamentalist tendencies among those who are inclined that way. And is a Muslim fundamentalist any worse than a Christian or Jewish one? They're all nutters in my book - some more prone to violence than others.



Old Omar offered this observation:

“And do you think that unto such as you

A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew

God gave a secret, and denied it me?

Well, well — what matters it? Believe that, too!”



Good points, C. External factors may play a part (as does Saudi funding) but I think there are probably other, internal ones as well (maybe the move away from ritualism and the fairly syncretic traditions in rural areas), maybe the lack of credible alternatives: the nation-state; and maybe the inability to come to terms with modernization. For whatever reason(s), it's a sorry state of affairs and I, for one, will not be cheering on any Arab spring or wasting my time thinking about these issues. Colossal waste of time (imo)