Economic growth (increases in GDP per capita) remains the holy grail for most countries. Even if it means vast inequalities, human suffering, and catastrophic consequences for the environment. Yet another example of the "detour principle": short-run well-being can be sacrificed for some radiant, resplendent future. Of course, this is a feature of what remains the dominant philosophy of our times, namely: Utilitarianism.
In the long-run, it is argued, such misery is worth it since the lives of future generations will be so much better and the 'betterness' of such large numbers of people outweighs the current unhappiness, suffering, etc. But here's the rub: given the looming prospect of environmental catastrophe (or, at the very least, uncertainty about how things will pan out) it is not at all clear that such an emphasis on growth is warranted-even if one concedes that the cost-benefit approach is the only valid framework we have (which, of course, it isn't).
Sen's latest book, one might argue his most urgent, is on this very issue.
I don't much care for gurus but if I did, Amartya would be right up there. I think my course which is based on, or inspired by, his work needs to be updated!
The 'spiritual east'? Man shall not live by bread alone. Granted. But the bread does come first.
In the long-run, it is argued, such misery is worth it since the lives of future generations will be so much better and the 'betterness' of such large numbers of people outweighs the current unhappiness, suffering, etc. But here's the rub: given the looming prospect of environmental catastrophe (or, at the very least, uncertainty about how things will pan out) it is not at all clear that such an emphasis on growth is warranted-even if one concedes that the cost-benefit approach is the only valid framework we have (which, of course, it isn't).
Sen's latest book, one might argue his most urgent, is on this very issue.
I don't much care for gurus but if I did, Amartya would be right up there. I think my course which is based on, or inspired by, his work needs to be updated!
The 'spiritual east'? Man shall not live by bread alone. Granted. But the bread does come first.

No comments:
Post a Comment