I asked little r if she had spilled the ice-cream by mistake or if she did it deliberately.
"Deliberately," she said, with amazing confidence.
"Then you are more foolish than I thought." This at once made me sound pompous, like some upright character from a Hardy novel. I wasn't even wearing black.
She just looked at me with venom in her narrowing eyes and a pointing, accusing finger:
"From this day onwards you are my number one enemy."
...
By morning she had reconsidered after I made it a point of telling everyone about what was either world-class acting or a ridiculous bit of high drama. She turned her head, laughed, and said, "my ten thousandth enemy."
~~~
Derek Raymond writes as if there is barely any hope left for the human race. His trick is-and what a trick it is- to take one simple and brilliant notion and let it ride. There isn't "precision" or "accuracy" but instead an emotional truth, a feeling or tone that hangs about. Everything else seems tangential, or drawn to that centre, touching it obliquely, like secondary waves, undercurrents.
What bleak skill!
Here, in How the Dead Live, there is the all-pervading sense that something in the world is lost, that England is well and truly gone. The dull ordinary roughness at the edges of a life comes to the fore. Yes, but it's also that what was gold, or might have been gold, sinks to oblivion.
There was a time when I thought it was important to be religious, that all else was really hanging onto its coat tails. Now? Now I think one has to look carefully, eke out some narrow width of meaning for oneself. One may or may not find a sinew of truth.
There is something old, perhaps as inconsequential as manners, a turn of phrase, a certain demeanour, that just survives the deluge. Old hands, mostly useless, have seen their time. The dark winds of winter giving us our final form. A time remembered, a summer evening, when hand and heart were one, the inner wrist glowing with certainty.
England will shake, the heart will fall. Nothing new seems to happen. But this, too, is something you only dimly understand, otherwise it might offer you a compensating low wisdom. There is no peace here and no acceptance of the facts, only a grey haze swirling around the tree tops and a dark light growing in my mind.
"Deliberately," she said, with amazing confidence.
"Then you are more foolish than I thought." This at once made me sound pompous, like some upright character from a Hardy novel. I wasn't even wearing black.
She just looked at me with venom in her narrowing eyes and a pointing, accusing finger:
"From this day onwards you are my number one enemy."
...
By morning she had reconsidered after I made it a point of telling everyone about what was either world-class acting or a ridiculous bit of high drama. She turned her head, laughed, and said, "my ten thousandth enemy."
~~~
Derek Raymond writes as if there is barely any hope left for the human race. His trick is-and what a trick it is- to take one simple and brilliant notion and let it ride. There isn't "precision" or "accuracy" but instead an emotional truth, a feeling or tone that hangs about. Everything else seems tangential, or drawn to that centre, touching it obliquely, like secondary waves, undercurrents.
What bleak skill!
Here, in How the Dead Live, there is the all-pervading sense that something in the world is lost, that England is well and truly gone. The dull ordinary roughness at the edges of a life comes to the fore. Yes, but it's also that what was gold, or might have been gold, sinks to oblivion.
There was a time when I thought it was important to be religious, that all else was really hanging onto its coat tails. Now? Now I think one has to look carefully, eke out some narrow width of meaning for oneself. One may or may not find a sinew of truth.
There is something old, perhaps as inconsequential as manners, a turn of phrase, a certain demeanour, that just survives the deluge. Old hands, mostly useless, have seen their time. The dark winds of winter giving us our final form. A time remembered, a summer evening, when hand and heart were one, the inner wrist glowing with certainty.
England will shake, the heart will fall. Nothing new seems to happen. But this, too, is something you only dimly understand, otherwise it might offer you a compensating low wisdom. There is no peace here and no acceptance of the facts, only a grey haze swirling around the tree tops and a dark light growing in my mind.
12 comments:
are these dialogues with little r real? i mean, were these exact words uttered? how old is she?!!! if i hadn't known she was a child, it could readily pass as your conversation with a self-confident and playful young girl making fun of you :-)
yes, this is a fairly accurate translation of what she said! the cheeky skunk!
:-)
she is 3 and a half. going on 10!
As my friends keep on telling me: you've finally met your match!
If you look at my FaceBook you'll see a photo of Alice: 11-going-on-15! How quickly they grow up..
Read a book I think might interest you: Something's Wrong by Sam Smith. (He's a friend of mine, but a damn good writer.) I've written about it here:http://daybook-celeste.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/somethings-wrong-by-sam-smith.html
Re religion, in the above-mentioned Blog I've quoted Thomas Szasz (tu sais?):Thomas Szasz wrote: "If you talk to God, you are praying; If God talks to you, you have schizophrenia. If the dead talk to you, you are a spiritualist; If you talk to the dead, you are a schizophrenic"
Any thoughts, dear b?
great review but i don't think, C, i could read anything *that* bleak! even the black sun has its limits! :-)
in any case, it sounds too close to life...reflection or the artist's skill create the necessary distance, no? otherwise one would be drawn in. some things you can't look at too closely.
Nice quote. :-)
But what if you *don't* talk to God? And if God talks to you what does that say about Him?
:-)
tying the loose threads...simone weil once wrote (making allowances for my poor memory)...we are at just the right distance from God: if we were an inch closer we would burn; an inch further away then we would freeze.
Yes, you have a point about art and 'distance'from real life. But I read Sam's book as a polemic, a way of exposing social ills which mostly remain tucked away under the carpet. That's O.K. by me.
As for God: dunno. He hasn't said a word to me since I was 15!I'm waiting but He'd better hurry up......
C, what was the '47 film, btw?
Wasn't Dark passage (Bogart)?
Dunno. It's a bit like all these terrible, terrible sex crimes one hears about nowadays. Not just saville, but that Ohio case as well, or the Austrian one. I don't know how much reality we can take.
Have you seen this film called Frances? Very depressing, but from what I remember a somewhat similar theme.
Not sure if I can still access facebook (been off it a year or so) but if I can then I'll have a look.
Hope all else is well?
(p.s. struggling with ford madox ford...obscure and dense at the moment. or maybe that's just the state I'm in!)
The dougal has dug out a spare copy of Middlemarch for me and so that's probably next on my list. that or some Capote.
Half way through lorrie moore's 'birds of america' and half way with Alice Munro's Dear life. Both enjoyable, in their different ways. Must put my skates on since term is starting in a week or so. This may be the only relatively free time i have for proper reading. later it's just the old drag of economics!
Khair...
Hello!
K.
Which 1947 film do you mean? I can think of several. Black Narcissus, maybe?
Can't believe you're not enjoying FMF! Although, on reflection, he does need rather concentrated attention and you sound as if you're reading about six books at once! TUT! On the other hand, I can hardly criticize you when i've just given up on Nabokov's The Gift, which I found tedious and unrewarding. Am about to embark on his Laughter in the Dark and if that doens' work out I may have to abandon Nabokov for now.
But Middlemarch. You can't go wrong there! If you haven't read it before, it's gap in your reading you need to fill!
Yes, otherwise, all is going as usual; training the new puppy (Oscar), making an exotic patchworked dressing-gown for my friend ron, to cheer him up. Listening to Philippe Jaroussky (counter-tenor but really a soprano)singing Caldara (look himup!) and Vivaldi - try Jaroussky on YouTube. Divine voice, so effortlessly swooping to the heights, yet not sacrificing expressiveness. AND: try This One's for Him A Tribute to Guy Clark, one of the very greatest country music song-writers. Two CDs of famous country singers singing Clark's songs.
Now back to Nabokov......
Oh, I thought you said you were going to watch some amazing 1947 film, chosen by someone else?
Talking of old films..just watched 'Dark Passage' (Bogart and Bacall..can't go wrong there) and a not-so-good film called 'Night and the City'. The only nice thing about the latter were the scenes of London in the early 1950s. What a dump!
will try and look them up but we don't have access to youtube in the land of the pure-haven't had so for the last two years. Real stinker!
Yes, you're quite right...these reading habits are awful. I'm going to make a concerted effort to round off the ones that can be read in the next week and put the rest on the shelves for a good while. anyway, term is starting soon.
Best wishes,
K.
Know what? Damned if I can remember which 1947 we watched. I know we DID watch one, but nothing about it comes to mind. That's dreadful! But, then, I've just realised that I read Nabokov's Invitation to a Beheading only a few weeks since and have got to read it again because I don't remember great stretches of it. However, I made a note of the following, which I believe will strike some resonances with you:
[Cincinnatus looks at old photographs in a magazine]'But then perhaps, thought Cincinnatus, I am misunderstanding these pictures. Attributing to the epoch the characteristics of its photographs.The wealth of the shadows, the torrents of light, the gloss of a tanned shoulder, the rare reflection, the fluid transitions from one element to another- perhaps all of this pertains only to the snapshot, to a particular kind of heliotropy, to special forms of that art, and the world never was so sinuous, so humid and rapid - just as today our unsophisticated cameras record in their own way our hastily assembled and painted world.'
BTW, life IS possible without YouTube, but it's definitely less fun! Selah.
Yes, I can barely remember anything I've read: the barest outline, some bits of a plot, etc. Depressing!
I dunno, I really found youtube useful. I think there's a way around it-or at least my friends in the computer science dept. tell me.
Term is starting on Wed. and I'm dreading it, C. I think I've developed a phobia: I just don't want to see any students! Keep your fingers crossed: I've got 5 students so the class might be cancelled (inshAllah).
Take care,
b.
But what if a cancelled class means no money?! But oh, how well I remember that chilling feeling that comes over one as the new term looms. Especially after the long summer vacation, when one had almost had time to reconnect with the real world and the non-teaching parts of oneself. Retirement, b. That's the thing. But you're much too young. All I can offer is sympathy and 'Good luck'!
no, it means money..money for nothing!
yes, the long summer is over. and so is the silence.
Yes, well, this is a sort of early-retirement home really...a kind of flashy Butlins. Lots of creature comforts, but a gilded cage is still a cage in the final analysis.
hmm. and on that cheerful note...
how did your paper/presentation go?
best,
b.
Post a Comment