Thursday, April 03, 2014

The Phenomenon of Life



I've lost my copy of Jonas's brilliant Phenomenon of Life and only vaguely recall some of his dazzling insights/explorations. I'm a bit slow that way. What struck you was the idea of continuity-perhaps one of intelligence-between plants and animals. This goes back to a shamanistic understanding of life that sees and values 'connectedness' over discontinuity and autonomy. If human beings are at the centre of existence (an unfashionable claim in these deflationary times)then they are linked to all else that exists; alternatively, if we are on the 'circumference' of life, representing its greatest extension into the unknown, then we also carry the notion of 'centre' with us. As what? Impulse, memory, myth?

Oliver Sacks writing-wonderfully as ever-has this to say:

For Darwin, the ability to modulate responses indicated “the presence of a mind of some kind.” He also wrote of the “mental qualities” of worms in relation to their plugging up their burrows, noting that “if worms are able to judge…having drawn an object close to the mouths of their burrows, how best to drag it in, they must acquire some notion of its general shape.” This moved him to argue that worms “deserve to be called intelligent, for they then act in nearly the same manner as a man under similar circumstances.”

6 comments:

LEA said...

" ... As what? Impulse, memory, myth? "

Perhaps, as our irrepressible nature ?! Don't know, just an idea.

Regards

billoo said...

Yes, Lea, think you're right. But maybe always wants to find our centre ( or a centre) and another part wants to break free from our origins?

What was that line from Wallace Stevens about the " muddy centre" again. Memory ain't what it used to be..old age creeping in!

So nice to hear from you. I won't ask where you've been . hope all is well?

I found one of your danilo kis books by the way. Started a few pages and was overwhelmed by the sensuality or lyricism of it. One to savour, I think.

Salams,

K.

LEA said...

Savour? Never found book savory, just a mere pretext to appear more interesting while name dropping. :) Which is precisely why WS tells me nothing. I'm famously shallow, you know?!

Otherwise, it suffices to say I just couldn't be better. I did keep up with your blog tho. Great writing, as always. Now, back to my kiddo.

Regards and thanks for your posts.

billoo said...

Books. Hmm. Hear what you're saying lea because there is a lot of snobbery and one up -manship involved. And, yes, appearing smart is everything in some circles...but, but "just"??

Shallow. You' ve come to the right place! Famously? You've gone up in my estimation!:))

I will try and write more about snails to try and coax you back here again.

Take care,

K.

LEA said...

B,

I was kidding by exaggeration- the book part, not the shallow bit.

I've been axed here and elsewhere before so coaxing would be simply a matter of coordination. Ax side, I like many of your writings as I'm sure you can easily tell.

Nice weekend!

billoo said...

axed here? Oh, I'm sorry if I've done that..I think there is something abrupt in my nature (as I'm sure some of the other readers here would readily testify to).

Khair...

Best,

K.