“My body was shivering. I saw death so close and I will never forget the black boots approaching me – I felt as though it was death that was approaching me.”
Purity is brutal, cleansing, cathartic.
What can one say? I think there is a growing realization that maybe, just maybe- as the kid says in The Lord of the Flies- "the beast was within". It wasn't the Amrikis, wasn't the Injuns or the Jooos. Just plain old religious folks, tribals, who wanted others to taste what they had tasted, "the pain of their children dying".
Mimesis: everyone's trying to outdo the other in evil acts.
In Australia there's a saying, apparently, that goes like: 'I'll ride with you'. Well, over here all I want to say is: let me off, I don't want to ride with anyone any more.
Schuon once wrote: if there's an avalanche, don't walk towards it. There's no courage, no bravery in it.
~~~
You feel like a Russian aristocrat in a novel who has suddenly realized that his country is fucked and that he will drown along with everyone else, a horrible and meaningless death.
A candlelight vigil with 600 students. Some prayers and a minute's silence is all we can offer. A drunk ex-army officer starts to blabber, with tears in his eyes, pointing to the shrapnel still lodged in his leg. Someone from the crowd shouts, "we are proud of you, Sir". I amble away. It was the army that created this monster in the first place.
Purity is brutal, cleansing, cathartic.
What can one say? I think there is a growing realization that maybe, just maybe- as the kid says in The Lord of the Flies- "the beast was within". It wasn't the Amrikis, wasn't the Injuns or the Jooos. Just plain old religious folks, tribals, who wanted others to taste what they had tasted, "the pain of their children dying".
Mimesis: everyone's trying to outdo the other in evil acts.
In Australia there's a saying, apparently, that goes like: 'I'll ride with you'. Well, over here all I want to say is: let me off, I don't want to ride with anyone any more.
Schuon once wrote: if there's an avalanche, don't walk towards it. There's no courage, no bravery in it.
~~~
You feel like a Russian aristocrat in a novel who has suddenly realized that his country is fucked and that he will drown along with everyone else, a horrible and meaningless death.
A candlelight vigil with 600 students. Some prayers and a minute's silence is all we can offer. A drunk ex-army officer starts to blabber, with tears in his eyes, pointing to the shrapnel still lodged in his leg. Someone from the crowd shouts, "we are proud of you, Sir". I amble away. It was the army that created this monster in the first place.
2 comments:
what can one say, indeed.
do keep well, there, in the land of the pure
best
fff
thank you, fff. Hope you had a Merry Christmas!
Have a happy New Year!
b.
Post a Comment