Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Birmingham, the 4th holiest city in Islam


I remember 'the east', but it was nothing like this..or maybe I just never got invited to the right places!

~~~

After Mecca, Medina and Jerusalem, there is the mystical city of Birmingham to visit. God willing, I will save up and visit the holy shrines of this revered city one day (or at least their world-famous tandoori restaurants). If you are a non-Muslim-one of the kuffar- and want to visit, don't worry, I will ride with you.

~~~

The expert on terror (or was it terrorism) was on the Beeb last night and they couldn't stop laughing at him. "I didn't check my facts" the plonker said. To compound it all he apologized to everyone saying Birmingham was a beautiful city. And what does he know about the city, now he has been "educated" (as the Yanks are wont to say): "Well, I think it has a lot of good pubs". The most amazing thing is that the New York Times calls  him one of the foremost experts on terrorism (will look up the quote later).

Just visited aunty last week. What a building! Of course, the BBC is full of 'old hands' who are more subtle than this bumbling fool. But one day I'd like someone to turn around and actually ask them: how did you become an expert? (In a similar vein, it is funny to see the ignorant call themselves "shaikh". Something similar to 'every man's a saint' kind of thing. That's a reformation for you!)

Gellner: Muslim society:

~~~

Similarly, in academia there are many who pose as having expert knowledge (which in fact often amounts to nothing more than having a highly specialized command of useless details). When will they understand that true knowledge is -as the great natural philosopher once said-about "hearts and minds"?

~~~

'I still remember the bad old days of the 1970s, when Birmingham was controlled by Quakers. Oats were all there was to eat, and the only drink was lukewarm drinking chocolate in a chipped mug with a picture of the pig from Pipkins on it'

--The Londonistan Times

No comments: