‘But still, the question is, what should we remain alive for?
Man is not a rock, he can’t exist just for his own sake. There’s always the
“what for.” I understand that here, in the West, I won’t find the answer.
Because when I look around, I don’t understand what people live for. My
impression is that they live for the sake of shopping. That human life exists
for the sake of shopping. The only solution is to stay on the margins, to not
get too involved—in shopping, I mean. If I had grown up here, I don’t know what
I would have become. This is a very disorienting feeling. I just don’t
understand what it’s all for.’
---(another J.B.)
This reminded me of Solzhenitsyn's insightful and acerbic Harvard address, way back when.
'The constant desire to have still more things and a still better life.. imprints many Western faces with worry and even depression..Active and tense competition permeates all human thoughts without opening a way to free spiritual development.'
'Wherever the tissue of life is woven out of legalistic relations, here is an atmosphere of moral mediocrity, paralyzing man's noblest impulses.'
[The tone isn't quite right, but he does sound a bit like an Old Testament prophet. Is that because he's touching on issues that relate to our fundamental human condition, rather than simply america in the third quarter of the twentieth century?].
Continue.
'Destructive and irresponsible freedom has been granted boundless space...It is time, in the West, to defend not so much human rights as human obligations.'
'"everyone is entitled to know everything." But this is a false slogan, characteristic of a false era...People have 'the right not to have their divine souls stuffed with gossip, nonsense, vain talk. A person who works and leads a meaningful life does not need this excessive burdening flow of information. Hastiness and superficiality are the psychic disease of the 20th century...'
[He goes on to say how the press/media is actually very uniform and here he is on the money since the views expressed, the shattering of attentiveness, reinforce the dominant "fashions" and "common corporate interests".]
What is not fashionable will 'hardly ever find its way into periodicals or books or be heard in colleges.'
[Too right! Freedom is a thousand channels on your television; ten thousand songs on your music system, free downloads, the choice of any number of yoghurts, the ability to taste food from anywhere in the world at any time, google's infinite library...]
'Life's complexity and mortal weight have produced stronger, deeper and more interesting characters than those produced by standardized Western well-being.'
[This chimed with Asad's reflections on just coming back after four months in Berkeley, California. It's a beautiful place but, ultimately, there's something not quite right about it..there's a kind of superficiality to it that makes it unreal. So speaketh the East London kid!]
'Your screens and publications are full of prescribed smiles and raised glasses. What is the joy about?'
'A total liberation occurred from the moral heritage of Christian centuries with their great reserves of mercy and sacrifice.'
[Well, we've got good latte now, haven't we? And thanks to the internet and facebook I have at least 500 friends].
'All the technological achievements of Progress, including the conquest of outer space, do not redeem the Twentieth century's moral poverty.'
[One can imagine the students shifting uneasily in their seats at this point. When will this blasted fool bring an end to this rant. Enough, already. I toldya we shouldna invited a god-damned, sonofabitch Commie.]
'Only voluntary, inspired self-restraint can raise man above the world stream of materialism.'
This reminded me of Solzhenitsyn's insightful and acerbic Harvard address, way back when.
'The constant desire to have still more things and a still better life.. imprints many Western faces with worry and even depression..Active and tense competition permeates all human thoughts without opening a way to free spiritual development.'
'Wherever the tissue of life is woven out of legalistic relations, here is an atmosphere of moral mediocrity, paralyzing man's noblest impulses.'
[The tone isn't quite right, but he does sound a bit like an Old Testament prophet. Is that because he's touching on issues that relate to our fundamental human condition, rather than simply america in the third quarter of the twentieth century?].
Continue.
'Destructive and irresponsible freedom has been granted boundless space...It is time, in the West, to defend not so much human rights as human obligations.'
'"everyone is entitled to know everything." But this is a false slogan, characteristic of a false era...People have 'the right not to have their divine souls stuffed with gossip, nonsense, vain talk. A person who works and leads a meaningful life does not need this excessive burdening flow of information. Hastiness and superficiality are the psychic disease of the 20th century...'
[He goes on to say how the press/media is actually very uniform and here he is on the money since the views expressed, the shattering of attentiveness, reinforce the dominant "fashions" and "common corporate interests".]
What is not fashionable will 'hardly ever find its way into periodicals or books or be heard in colleges.'
[Too right! Freedom is a thousand channels on your television; ten thousand songs on your music system, free downloads, the choice of any number of yoghurts, the ability to taste food from anywhere in the world at any time, google's infinite library...]
'Life's complexity and mortal weight have produced stronger, deeper and more interesting characters than those produced by standardized Western well-being.'
[This chimed with Asad's reflections on just coming back after four months in Berkeley, California. It's a beautiful place but, ultimately, there's something not quite right about it..there's a kind of superficiality to it that makes it unreal. So speaketh the East London kid!]
'Your screens and publications are full of prescribed smiles and raised glasses. What is the joy about?'
'A total liberation occurred from the moral heritage of Christian centuries with their great reserves of mercy and sacrifice.'
[Well, we've got good latte now, haven't we? And thanks to the internet and facebook I have at least 500 friends].
'All the technological achievements of Progress, including the conquest of outer space, do not redeem the Twentieth century's moral poverty.'
[One can imagine the students shifting uneasily in their seats at this point. When will this blasted fool bring an end to this rant. Enough, already. I toldya we shouldna invited a god-damned, sonofabitch Commie.]
'Only voluntary, inspired self-restraint can raise man above the world stream of materialism.'

9 comments:
why do you have this new font type? :-)
I don't know..I like it..much clearer. I wish I'd found it before. why, not good?
no, it's lovely - but not because it is clearer, it looks like scanned pages out of a book, actually. what is it?
dunno..it was when I copied some lines from Baffler (an online magazine). So, now I'll just try and stick with this for a while. I'm thinking of giving up blogging anyway.
you always say that :-)
this is interesting:
http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/mar/07/tom-mccarthy-death-writing-james-joyce-working-google
thanks. can't read it now...things piling up.
i think you would like to read this article:
The same year I first saw the Peat Glossary, a new edition of the Oxford Junior Dictionary was published. A sharp-eyed reader noticed that there had been a culling of words concerning nature. Under pressure, Oxford University Press revealed a list of the entries it no longer felt to be relevant to a modern-day childhood. The deletions included acorn, adder, ash, beech, bluebell, buttercup, catkin, conker, cowslip, cygnet, dandelion, fern, hazel, heather, heron, ivy, kingfisher, lark, mistletoe, nectar, newt, otter, pasture, and willow. The words introduced to the new edition included attachment, block-graph, blog, broadband, bullet-point, celebrity, chatroom, committee, cut-and-paste, MP3 player, and voice-mail.
The substitutions made in the dictionary—the outdoor and the natural being displaced by the indoor and the virtual—are a small but significant symptom of the simulated life we increasingly live. Children are now (and valuably) adept ecologists of the technoscape, with numerous terms for file types but few for differ-ent trees and creatures. A basic literacy of landscape is falling away up and down the ages. And what is lost along with this literacy is something precious: a kind of word magic, the power that certain terms possess to enchant our relations with nature and place. As the writer Henry Porter observed, the OUP deletions removed the “euphonious vocabulary of the natural world—words which do not simply label an object or action but in some mysterious and beautiful way become part of it.”
it's from here:
https://orionmagazine.org/article/landspeak/
thanks, Roxana!
I'm not a regular reader of the magazine but there are some nice articles by R. Solnit there. It's also how I came to read Wendell Berry.
Will read it now. Thanks once again!
best,
b.
Post a Comment