I imagine Transtromer looking down at the world from a height. Not a great height (he still sees the human) but from a height nevertheless (like some minor 'god'). There he is, looking quietly out at the world from his top floor apartment, insulated from the passing of time, Schubert playing in the background, the notes emerging mysteriously...
Ted Hughes in the Bestiary is something of a different order, a different species; a lost Shaman, immersing himself in the very first elements of the world, mingling with the animal-soul to name it.
Robert Walser. Seelig's Walks with.
Love the informal, personal tone of the writing here. A bit like the way a private journal is not supposed to see the light of the day and cuts you off from the hurly-burly of the world. At one point Walser says,
He praises Keller's Green Henry quite a lot but not much otherwise. I'm sure anton has read it. Roxana too, perhaps.
By chance-was it that? -I watched an hour of Into Great Silence. A slow but strangely compelling film.
~~~
Thought for the day. How strange we are, and how strange we are to ourselves. What is this estrangement we carry with us and glimpse in the early morning light?
The sheer variety is breathtaking. There was a Hitler and there was a Bach (why contrast evil with beauty and not the good?). In each human language there were hundreds of ways of describing and thinking about 'looking'. And then there were myriad languages, more spoken than read, each giving its own inflection to different ways in which to look: gaze, glance, stare...
And what of the ways of not looking? Who sees my face today and is it lovingly?
{M wanted to see D lovingly, not accurately}
And K?
I look for you; look out for you, look with you...
~~~
The sheer abundance of life, whittled to the bone.
~~~
A line from Augustine, cited in Oliver O'Donovan's Common Objects of Love, that struck you as being immensely beautiful:
~~~
The annual book fair was immensely disappointing. Too many books and pamphlets on Islam. A slight glimmer of hope in that a copy of Braudel was found but I don't have the time for such luxuries. In any case, it would have to wait in queue behind Pocock's Machiavellian Moment (still not finished) and Ronald Blythe's delightful Akenfield.
~~~
Well, how have you been C? What a pleasant surprise to hear from you!! Where have you been all this time?
Ted Hughes in the Bestiary is something of a different order, a different species; a lost Shaman, immersing himself in the very first elements of the world, mingling with the animal-soul to name it.
Robert Walser. Seelig's Walks with.
Love the informal, personal tone of the writing here. A bit like the way a private journal is not supposed to see the light of the day and cuts you off from the hurly-burly of the world. At one point Walser says,
one cannot always walk in the light.And there is this pervading sense of the importance of letting nature run its course running throughout the book. Perhaps this explains Walser's 'greyness', his 'neutrality', his desire to be as small as a Chinaman, as soft as ash. I don't know why, but Walser always reminds me of Argon from Primo Levi's The Periodic Table. He himself is one of the
quiet, inconspicuous characters that keeps humanity together.that he talks about.
is it not lovely that in our existence so much remains strange and unknown..
He praises Keller's Green Henry quite a lot but not much otherwise. I'm sure anton has read it. Roxana too, perhaps.
“Indeed,” Walser writes about ash, “if one goes into this apparently uninteresting subject in any depth there is quite a lot to be said about it which is not at all uninteresting; if, for example, one blows on ash it displays not the least reluctance to fly off instantly in all directions. Ash is submissiveness, worthlessness, irrelevance itself, and best of all, it is itself pervaded by the belief that it is fit for nothing. Is it possible to be more helpless, more impotent, and more wretched than ash? Not very easily. Could anything be more compliant and more tolerant? Hardly. Ash has no notion of character and is further from any kind of wood than dejection is from exhilaration. Where there is ash there is actually nothing at all. Tread on ash, and you will barely notice that you have stepped on anything.
By chance-was it chance?- I stumbled across the book at readings a few days ago but put it back on the shelf in favour of James C. Scott's Against the Grain.
By chance-was it that? -I watched an hour of Into Great Silence. A slow but strangely compelling film.
~~~
Thought for the day. How strange we are, and how strange we are to ourselves. What is this estrangement we carry with us and glimpse in the early morning light?
The sheer variety is breathtaking. There was a Hitler and there was a Bach (why contrast evil with beauty and not the good?). In each human language there were hundreds of ways of describing and thinking about 'looking'. And then there were myriad languages, more spoken than read, each giving its own inflection to different ways in which to look: gaze, glance, stare...
And what of the ways of not looking? Who sees my face today and is it lovingly?
{M wanted to see D lovingly, not accurately}
And K?
I look for you; look out for you, look with you...
~~~
The sheer abundance of life, whittled to the bone.
~~~
A line from Augustine, cited in Oliver O'Donovan's Common Objects of Love, that struck you as being immensely beautiful:
My weight is my love, by which I am drawn in whichever direction I go
~~~
The annual book fair was immensely disappointing. Too many books and pamphlets on Islam. A slight glimmer of hope in that a copy of Braudel was found but I don't have the time for such luxuries. In any case, it would have to wait in queue behind Pocock's Machiavellian Moment (still not finished) and Ronald Blythe's delightful Akenfield.
~~~
Well, how have you been C? What a pleasant surprise to hear from you!! Where have you been all this time?
3 comments:
Oh, b! I asked, you responded. Well, how reassuring to read your Notes and to know that there is still a world out there where discursive thought and ideas still have power. Because in these benighted times I do sometimes wonder - and worry. Your reading list is awesome and even a little intimidating - must catch up on some of the names. In return, I offer you Suite Francaise by Irene Nemorovsky, although that's such a famous title that you've no doubt read it. Written in 1942, it was intended as part of a 5 -novel about WW2,but the final words were written two months before she was arrested and shipped off to die in Auschwitz. Then I read a Biography of Nemirovsky, translated from the French, followed by her most autobiographical novel: The Wine of Solitude. Otherwise, textile history is a a big focus - trying to write a magazine article. Which reminds me, curiously, of an exchange you and I had when we first began corresponding, when we discussed the spiritual significance of patchwork garments in Sufi and Bhuddist traditions. I'll stop for today with what I hope will be an encouragement to both of us to carry on thinking, writing, and, yes, Blogging:
Enough, if something from our hands have power
To live, and act, and serve the future hour;
And if, as toward the silent tomb we go,
Through love, through hope, and faith's transcendent dower,
We feel that we are greater than we know.
From The River Duddon - Afterthought. William Wordsworth.
Hello, C!
Yes, it's a pity I haven't read any of those books!
:- )
Only joking (I suppose partly in a shared response to the worries I have about the way things are (and are going)).
I was looking for the Suite Francaise last year but couldn't find it here-and then completely forgot about it when I was back in old Blighty for Christmas. There was another book, somewhat similar, that I wanted to get..produced by Persephone Books. Forget the title and author now. Will look it up if you're interested.
That's so good to hear that you're still writing. Book, articles? I've been trying to write a book-believe it or not. Long story. The department was on my back for not having done anything for so many years so I was forced to pretend that I was writing a book just to get them of my case -and now I've ended up writing the blasted thing. Dire stuff. But at least if I can get it out of the way I'll try and turn my hand to something that involves more freedom/creativity..or maybe I'll seriously start thinking about opening a cafe/bookshop.
Apart from that, same old, same old. Kids are growing up very quickly and it feels as if time is blowing through me (does sound a bit melodramatic, I know!). End of days? Where are those cinnamon rolls when you need them?
We must meet this summer (if I can make it over).
Stay in touch!
Salams,
b.
I think the Persephone book you refer to is An Unfinished Life by Etta Hillesum, another woman writer who was transported to the death camps. Her final postcard was flung from the transport train and found in a field by a farmer. There are no words for the fate of women (or anyone) such as Hillesum and Nemirovsky. Just a great silence. Thank you for pointing me to Robert Walser, unknown to me but not to Tim, who published a piece about him in Grosseteste Review. I may have told you that GR was founded by Tim Longville and the poet John Riley when they were at Cambridge in the late 60s and carried on until 1978, when John was murdered. Am trying to get Tim to search for the relevant issue of GR.I turned 80 last November - big party masterminded from Brighton in total secrecy by Vaseema, with Tim's collusion, launched me into my ninth decade in style! So please don't mention time,ageing, and speed of such to me! Get on and write the damned book! Please!
Post a Comment