Monday, May 07, 2018

Black Sun



West calls his struggle the right to be a “free thinker,” and he is, indeed, championing a kind of freedom—a white freedom, freedom without consequence, freedom without criticism, freedom to be proud and ignorant; freedom to profit off a people in one moment and abandon them in the next; a Stand Your Ground freedom, freedom without responsibility, without hard memory; a Monticello without slavery, a Confederate freedom, the freedom of John C. Calhoun, not the freedom of Harriet Tubman, which calls you to risk your own; not the freedom of Nat Turner, which calls you to give even more, but a conqueror’s freedom, freedom of the strong built on antipathy or indifference to the weak, the freedom of rape buttons, pussy grabbers, and fuck you anyway, bitch; freedom of oil and invisible wars, the freedom of suburbs drawn with red lines, the white freedom of Calabasas.

--T.N. Coates.



3 comments:

Celia said...

Dear b, Any chance you'll be in London 21st July? I'll be coming down to go to the Prom on the next night - Mahler 8. I've managed to get tickets and Alice has bravely agreed to accompany me, although she's more Rock 'n' Roll than classical so it'll be interesting to see what she makes of it. If you're around, maybe we could meet up?
Please email me if possible at celia.eddy@btinternet.com. I can't find yours since I changed my computer.

Anonymous said...

Hello, c.

I'd love to meet you but I can't confirm right now. My mother is going through chemo and I don't know her timetable. But I'll certainly let you know as soon as I know it.

Hope all is well?

K.

Celia said...

So sorry to hear that. I do hope your mum will a successful outome to her treatment. Just let me know if a meeting is possible.
C