It's amazing how far you can get with a bit of cut & paste. I'm not sure if there's an original sentence in the whole damned thing, but I did manage an okay job at stitching the whole thing together. Like a clerk, or Pessoa looking out onto the street from the high windows in his top story office, I sat and wrote, not knowing much about anything real.
How many millions of words are written each day? You begin to wonder if the difference between academic and non-academic really matters in the end. Everyone pontificating on the dire state of the world, on capitalism, or something. What have you added here? A thing without beauty.
You read statements such as, "Even if reason removed God from the picture, human spirituality remained intact" and you ask yourself, "says who?" You can say what you want, and everything has been said. Here's another one: "Human being isn't static." Well, maybe it is. I don't know. It seems pretty static for a lot of us.
~~~
Today in the frail morning light I saw a single crow serenely sipping from the only puddle in the entire field. As I walked on, another older bird, greying with age, held its wings closely to itself, ready to die, you suspect. The sun has entered a phase of decline, following an arc that it knows well. All things under the sun are moments in its life. Nothing new under the sun. Right now the brilliance of the human mind doesn't move me that much.


1 comment:
OK.Found the book. Looks impressive so shall have to find out what's in it!
Post a Comment