Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Lost Icons



"..I cannot absolve myself; just as I cannot love myself truthfully without another person's love, because I cannot without deceit and corruption love a self abstracted from the vision, involvement and investment of others. If I were able to absolve myself, I should be saying that my acts and their meanings could be-as it were- reclaimed , drawn back out of their life in the lives of others and ordered by my will..."

This is similar, he [Rowan  Williams, Lost Icons]argues, to a "therapeutically-guided introspection", the rhetoric of "self-discovery" popular in North American culture.  But that itself can be a tool for denying a role for the perspective of others  or a way of "retreating into an enclosed frame of reference". 

Gillian Rose's Paradiso on Sunday This remarkable line: Augustine lived a life of brokenness and integrity.  That word 'and' is simply stunning in this context. 

~~~

Notre Dame...

Dim memories but Sainte Chapelle always stood out as the real gem. But so sad to see this happen. Hard not to think that this is a sign of the demise of faith in the west (or at least in France). 

No comments: