dear b. This is a terrible time. Are you locked down? I'm sure that you have enough intellectual and practical resources to deal with isolation, but what about your kids? Home schooling? Alice was due to sit A-Levels in May. Very worrying. But we're OK - enough to eat and piles of unread books, and plenty of places to walk in for our permitted one daily session of exercise. And what of your mum? Strange times we live in. C
Hello, C. I’m still here in London. Flights back cancelled. University classes cancelled. This is all very surreal. Can hardly read a word. The Mabey ( 170pages in) is excellent, though. And the first chapter of Judith butler’s book is fascinating. Lots of things to think about at the moment..perhaps too many.
Glad to hear that you’re safe and well. London is a lot worse than the rest of the country.
Kids. Bored but managing. So far, not as bad there as it is here.
Take care of yourself, c. Lots of other books to discuss. Elizabeth hardwick, for example.
So you got 'locked down in London'? Not a good place to be right now. I've just finished 885 pages of Hilary Mantel's latest ouevre, The Mirror and the Light. She didn't disappoint. Now reading Jerry Brotton's The Sultan and the Queen, the Untold Story of Elizabeth and Islam, about Elizabeth 1's friendship with Murad III, the Ottoman Sultan. Will look at Eizabeth Hardwick - sounds familiar and I may even have her somewhere on the shelves. Sometimes I feel quite sanguine about this weird situation, at others I feel overwhelmed and despairing. When will I ever see my family again? Anyway, stay safe, that's the main thing. And try to keep reading and telling me more about books. C
3 comments:
dear b. This is a terrible time. Are you locked down? I'm sure that you have enough intellectual and practical resources to deal with isolation, but what about your kids? Home schooling? Alice was due to sit A-Levels in May. Very worrying. But we're OK - enough to eat and piles of unread books, and plenty of places to walk in for our permitted one daily session of exercise.
And what of your mum?
Strange times we live in.
C
Hello, C. I’m still here in London. Flights back cancelled. University classes cancelled. This is all very surreal. Can hardly read a word. The Mabey ( 170pages in) is excellent, though. And the first chapter of Judith butler’s book is fascinating. Lots of things to think about at the moment..perhaps too many.
Glad to hear that you’re safe and well. London is a lot worse than the rest of the country.
Kids. Bored but managing. So far, not as bad there as it is here.
Take care of yourself, c. Lots of other books to discuss. Elizabeth hardwick, for example.
K.
So you got 'locked down in London'? Not a good place to be right now.
I've just finished 885 pages of Hilary Mantel's latest ouevre, The Mirror and the Light. She didn't disappoint. Now reading Jerry Brotton's The Sultan and the Queen, the Untold Story of Elizabeth and Islam, about Elizabeth 1's friendship with Murad III, the Ottoman Sultan.
Will look at Eizabeth Hardwick - sounds familiar and I may even have her somewhere on the shelves.
Sometimes I feel quite sanguine about this weird situation, at others I feel overwhelmed and despairing. When will I ever see my family again?
Anyway, stay safe, that's the main thing. And try to keep reading and telling me more about books.
C
Post a Comment