Friday, March 14, 2008


Looking for some Emmi but she's not "up" yet. Instead, found this. Hope you like it C. (Turn away from the screen and just listen). First heard this via Ronald Searle on Desert Island Discs.

Once one has been a prisoner one is always a prisoner.

---R. Searle.

But he also said something very interesting..that this song told him that death would be a sort of "release".

The desire for sleep overcame all other desires.

---Herman Hesse.

3 comments:

Celia said...

Oh, Billo!

Did you know that this song cycle is another of may absolute favourites? I have this recording of it, too. I'll copy it for you. This, and the Berlioz I already sent you, Les Nuits D'été, are definitely in my Desert Island choices.And, of course, Mahler, Das Lied von der Erde.

Enough - and too much!
C

But how strange I find it to think of you in faraway Lahore listening to this quintessentialy western music - but it IS transcendental, isn't it?

billoo said...

"But how strange I find it to think of you in faraway Lahore "

But I'm on my own kind of desert island here..guess I always have been.

western? Perhaps northern soul?

orr?

How are you?
drop me a line sometime.
Have the yanks flown in yet? :)

bye,

b.

Celia said...

'Northern soul' - yes. Definitely.See my blog on Glenn Gould. Am copying Four Last Songs as I type this.