Tuesday, January 20, 2009

the fool


He receives a heart which is a wild garden, he who loves only the trim parklands. And the fool takes the princess away into slavery.
---Exupery

He that trusteth in his own heart is a fool.
----Proverbs:28:26

Was I the only one who wasn't serious?
---from The Wings of Desire

There was a way of things that escaped crow. Much of what the world took as wisdom...it didn't matter: knowing isn't everything. To think deeply but unable to live a deep life. Was it the times...time himself, that appeared like a fox in the snow, that was to blame?

"You know many things, fox", said crow emphatically.

And with the saying of it, fox instinctively knew that crow would fall; it was only a matter of time, no doubt about it.

"Oh yes, crow, it helps me find my way around here...my shadow was drawn to yours"

"I always wondered what you looked like. I thought you lived in a hole!"
~
"And I, for my part, thought you only lived in the open, free as the clouds. How can you, one who knows the one thing needful, talk to a one such as me?"
~
Crow was happy at fox's kind words; humans had only seen her blackness, marveled at her ugliness, only mocked the coarseness of her voice, recoiled at the wildness of her heart. Crow looked down from a great height and saw the world thaw, saw something glimmer in fox's eyes and thought: distance is not a question of space.
~
But then crow became sad. It was not that fox was from the wrong tribe or that fox's coat was a forbidden colour; it was that so much had been unsaid between them before this moment and so much would be unsaid after the moment had passed as well. "I don't control fate", said crow, gently. "This moment together is like a dream that we will forget. Already it is becoming a story".
~
But still, crow, who had an ancient affinity with fox, took an almighty leap and...
[But how does the story end?
How can there be an end to that which has no beginning? ]
~~

3 comments:

Folded letters said...

do you think there's such a thing as a hug that can be given without touching? No, I don't think so. But when you read this, that's what I'm giving you. Not much, but it's the best thing I can give. Yes, even better than eclairs. To nod yes, to this story.

billoo said...

And a virtual hug to you as well, fl! :-) But also, a real, real 'thank you' for your kind words.

Folded letters said...

well thank you b. I need a virtual hug. Bad, no good day. You're welcome, you deserve them.