Sunday, June 28, 2009

a green thought in a green shade


Because I've died so young,
Come sing me, pretty maidens,
A song of farewell.
When I come back again,
When I come back again,
I'll be a pretty lad.

5 comments:

Folded letters said...

Did I boast of liberty?
'Twas an insolency vain
I do only look on thee,
And I captive am again.


--Lady Mary Wroth

billoo said...

Flattery will get you everywhere m'dear :-)

Now, who said that? (and don't cheat!)

hello! :-)

b.

p.s I should add that the lines are from one of my favourite books-Knulp.

Folded letters said...

Oh I cheated....only because I wanted to see if this was Mae West. Am I correct?

Good to attribute your lines. And, if I can clarify, I was /not/ trying to flatter. Because flattery is disingenuous.

billoo said...

er..just to clarify..I said that tongue-in-cheek.

"Am I correct?"

Ah! The younger generation! :-)

Yes, I think it's her..or maybe it was W.C. Fields..can't remember now.

I thought your point about flattery was absolutely brilliant.

Sorry, sorry. Just in one of my clownish moods right now :-)

Folded letters said...

haha Where's my head pat, Old Man? I kid (was that a pun?). I feel clownish too. Except, isn't that usually a sad thing...to feel like being the clown. Maybe, I just speak for myself. Except there's too much sun shining on me as I sit in my window. I would be an ingrate to feel sad on a day like today.