Friday, July 31, 2009

song of the summer



This was the best version i could find. If anyone has S. Isbin's wonderful, wonderful rendition, please pass it on. Danke.


song of the summer


Hard to decide. Guess it's got to be something French. So far:

Andecy, Isbin; Miroirs, Ravel; Easy living, Stan Tracey; Ikon of Joy/Sorrow, Tavener; Something in the air, Ziggy.

Any recommendations, people?

~~~~

Transcending oneself without transcendence.

--E. Bloch.

Not to get out of oneself; not to withdraw into oneself. Not this, not that (the Hindus would say).

Never trust a god who doesn't dance (sorry, m, still can't stop laughing when I think of God on a tractor).

Does one have to be an atheist to be a modern muslim? Some will flinch at having any pre-fix to the word muslim. Fundamentalist muslims will say: there is only one Islam. Yeah, okay, er...so try telling that to the Shias!

~~~

Coming to the end of Herzog. Disappointing, to be honest. Too fragmentary. Some dazzling flashes, though. In particular, this:

At the corner, he paused to watch the work of the wrecking crew. The great metal ball swung at the walls, passed easily through brick, and entered the rooms, the lazy weight browsing on kitchens and parlors. Everything it touched wavered and burst, spilled down. There rose a white tranquil cloud of plaster dust. The afternoon was ending, and in the widening area of demolition was a fire fed by the wreckage ... Paint and varnish smoked like incense. The old flooring burned gratefully - the funeral of exhausted objects. Scaffolds walled with pink, white, green doors, quivered as the six-wheeled trucks carried off fallen brick. The sun, now leaving for New Jersey and the west, was surrounded by a dazzling broth of atmospheric gases.

6 comments:

Folded letters said...

Love the song, b. I bought Andecy on iTunes. It's beautiful. This recording has a little bit of an electric buzz, maybe it's my speakers, but it reminded me of cicadas. I want to listen to someone play this on a warm night outside in the pitch black.

These are my favorites this summer:
One Big Love--Emmylou Harris, You & I --Dennis Wilson, The Secret Sun--Jesse Harris, Soul Waver--Malika Ayane

billoo said...

thanks, nicky. Will check them out. Haven't heard of any of them!

Yeah, the isbin version is beautiful. I think I'll ask a friend-who shall remain nameless given that case in Boston where someone was fined 400 k dollars for illegaly downloading it-to help me "find" it.

catch you later,

b.

billoo said...

Thanks again, n.

Liked soul waver but need time for the others to sink in...not stuff that I'm really drawn to.

One big love. Er..nope. Sorry! Secret sun sounded dylan-esque.

thought you might like this as well:
GJ

Folded letters said...

Soul Waver is my favorite. Although I love One big love. Actually, anything Emmylou sings I pretty much will listen to. (Eva Cassidy is great too)

Yeah, I know that one. The Jules song, I bought it a long time ago when I saw it on your blog. When it shuffles on, I always think of you, b.

I like lots of different 'types' of music. So, that makes iTunes a little problematic for me.

Manuela said...

hello b,

i see that image has really stayed with you - clearly there's something in it for you :)

the video didn't work for me, but will come back and try again. so you're searching for a summer song?

billoo said...

hello, mani! :-)

yeah, the video isn't very good, but I can't find the Sharon Isbin song online.

nope, not searching. Just found these ones and I liked them. Do you have any recommendations?

Hope you're enjoying your holidays.

best wishes,

b.