Monday, August 15, 2011

lost islands

Saint Jude's Infirmary-Happy Healthy Lucky Month from Richard Ferguson on Vimeo.

via anton

Not that I was keeping time, or that I could. Walked for five or six hours under grey skies, the familiar side roads that you know like the back of your hand. Supposed to be thinking of God. No, religion isn't about 'thinking'. Then what?

Saw Miro again; not the same wonderment of the first time, but still...and there was this line about how he loved Bach and Casals. There's something medieval about Miro. A book of signs. On the way there I passed someone selling a few books (maybe 20) on the floor. Odd. Laid out there on a thick piece of cloth. Middle-left, the book I was searching for! Carver's collected stories. And that line in the intro, that you know to be true: after the intelligence or the heart has been displaced a peg or two, there's a moment of reflection, like a closed book in your hands, and there's life, always the return to life...

Also saw the stunning book, Paul Strand in Mexico. Reminded you of Thesiger's wonderful Visions of a Nomad. Grace, necessity. The cross. For who, for Christ's sake?

We are captives, you and I, captives to a lost future. This island in which we occasionally talk to one another, the words we speak, already hold the reflection of drowned worlds. The last words. Concentrate. The innocuous first ones that opened up a space. The old mirror of our lives, lapping everything up, waiting for a particular image. There is no road to you, only detours, diversions when it comes to the unsayable. You don't know the what or why or who of it. The lies in my heart will be the death of me.

In my coat I sit
At the window sill
Wintering with snow
That did not melt
It fell long ago
At night, by stealth
I was where I am
When the snow began.
---Menashe.

4 comments:

Roxana said...

i still think that captives to a lost future is better than to a lost past. but at what point of the imaginary lives they become the same?

you seem so sad these days...

billoo said...

yes, but why talk about captives at all!

sad? me? yes, maybe you're right roxana, now that i think about it. hmm..did anyone ever tell you, you'd make a great therapist? I can imagine it now.

orr?

hope all is well.

b.

Roxana said...

i don't know, ask the Black Sun, he started it!

yes, i also think i would :-) i am sorry you are feeling so down. but let not talk about it, better get some c.r. quickly and whatever else your heart desires! :-)

Anonymous said...

'whatever else'...blasphemer!! there is nothing else but c.r.s! ;-)