Wednesday, November 23, 2011
Waking up in the middle of the night I don't why, but I thought of these words: the dark recesses of the mind without the light of God. No doubt, this came about from finding a copy of Macintyre's wonderful chapters, Fides et Ratio, and from a weird discussion with a behavioural economist who claims there's a 'molecule' in the brain that inclines us to be moral (his words were "cause us" and that seems really problematical).
If morality is an 'act', an intention to act or a change of mind, a second thought, something that depends on clarity (perhaps not always), some kind of 'movement', then isn't there an 'I' that is directing this movement?
~~~
Some people here think that it's shrewd or clever not to say anything. Whereas, knowing and expressing what you believe in is surely a form of intelligence? Of course, those who think they always know what they believe or those who feel they always have to express it, are often insufferable bores at best, irritating ranters at worst.
~~~
Listening to some lovely playing of Scarlatti's on the radio the other day. By someone called Tharaud. But I like this better.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment