Sunday, November 09, 2014

the bookshop

“I’m not asking if we’ve forgotten how to be Jewish,” he said, “but if we’ve forgotten how to be human.”
---Rivlin.

We have our books, but we have forgotten how to read.

|||

'The more I come into contact with these spheres of legitimacy or respectability, the more I feel a disjunction between how I identify and the contexts that I exist in.'

J. Wang, via anton.

|

Why should you think that a man would be a better judge of these things than a woman?'

I don't know that men are better judges than women, said Florence, but they spend much less time regretting their decisions.

---P. Fitzgerald.

|

There is something strangely wonderful about defeat-as long as it isn't total defeat and as long as one come out intact and it's this: one realizes that 'success' is not what it's about. To find oneself in the time one is in (Merton) is also to stand opposed to the times (Saint Paul), To be not conformed to time is to find one's own time..the time that remains, after all the subtractions.

No comments: