Saturday, February 23, 2019

Misc.


"But all this takes place in the context of inward-looking institutions, which engage with the outside world for the sake of scholarship, but are not open to its input about how they should be run. The comparison to the Venetian Republic is not so far off, for it is a kind of late-medieval republic, governed by and for its citizens. It’s not always well governed, but it is self-governed."

--Hannah Gray.

“There is a carnivalesque quality about a faith for which the whole cosmos is at stake in the gift of a cup of water." --Eagleton.

"We do not hear the murmur of God's song, we hear it only when it ceases." -- Hans Carossa via Gadamer

"Next, I’m planning to read Robert Fagles’s translation of The Iliad. My cellmate’s reading it now. I’ve looked at a couple pages of it already and I have a good feeling about it." --Nico Walker. Walser syndrome: head for the asylum to get the time to read.


No comments: