For Smith the possibility of morality depends on reflexivity, inter-subjectivity
and imagination (Brown, 2016). Sympathy, for example, depends on not just
me imagining what you’re feeling in your situation or what I might feel in your
situation; it can also involve a change in person and character so that I imagine
myself as you in your situation. In the latter case I must, to some extent, identify
with the other person to enter his perspective; on the other hand, I can only
reflectively and normatively sympathize with the other and endorse or disapprove
of his feelings/actions if I can maintain the ‘distance’ implied by having my own
perspective. Sympathy in this sense is a bridge which simultaneously allows for
imaginative participation in the life of another while at the same time maintaining
the distance required for judgement. It is hard to see how a preference function
can capture all of these nuances.
In some sense the matter is more complicated since there is no ‘I’ who exists
independently of both the other’s perspective and the sympathetic act. The self
does not exist isolated and fully formed at a particular point in time; instead, any
understanding of who I am depends on an ongoing effort over time to ‘see myself
as you’.
---K.M.
No comments:
Post a Comment