Sunday, October 13, 2019

The Handke Question: "You can stick your corpses up your arse."

I 've got very little to say on this. My instinctive reaction was: "I don't give a fig about his politics". I think that was rash.

So, the defence goes: since you haven't read any of his books can you comment? Fair point: I cannot comment about the books or what they say about his worldview/politics..what if the books consistently (or not) demonstrate views that would make a mockery of the claim that he's a particular kind of nasty nationalist or the kind of person who would support that kind of nationalism?

Defence no. 2 Even his private or public views are abhorrent -which remains to be shown since all you've got are newspaper snippets and hearsay- his work itself stands out, is admirable, exceptional etc. and he/it should be judged on those grounds alone: play the ball, not the man.

Again, I'm torn here. I'd love to read Repetition. It sounds like just the kind of book I'd like. On the other hand, isn't there something to the notion of what Frithjof Schuon calls 'integral intelligence'? Someone can be hugely intelligent or even profound in some senses and a complete idiot in another sense? Isn't that just the fragmentation of the self in modernity and something that is actually conducive to liberalism's battle against totalitarianism or a narrow determination of human possibilities? 

So, for a moment let's take for granted that his political views are, to say the least, weird. So what? I dunno. Can one look at Freud's paintings in the same way once you've read that he (allegedly) said that a woman has only truly submitted once she's been sodomized? And then there's the slippery slope argument: how far do you go? What if a writer/artist/musician has been racist/misogynist etc.? Can art ever be "pure" or, to put it another way, is there a danger of politicizing everything? And then: whose politics?

Over the last few days there's been a lot of vitriolic reaction to Handke being awarded the Nobel. On the other hand, there seems to have been a lot of intellectual somersaulting trying to make sense of his statements..did he really say the Bosnians were "staging"  atrocities? And what exactly did he mean when he said he stands with Milosevic. What did he mean, if he said it, that "all sides" do wrong? "You can stick your corpses.." Really? Is that linguistic integrity?

I don't know if there's a coming down on one side or the other. One would hope that one could still recognize someone's work as being profound or even brilliant but at the same time be deeply uneasy about their political views. 

I'm suspicious of people who are not suspicious. 

Does that mean that those people who don't express any kind of  unease are naive? Or is there something darker to it? 


2 comments:

Mirza Yar Bahadur said...

Hello,

Handke is a curious case. Having read all of him, I am baffled by his “public” views about Bosnia etc but I don’t know what his private views are....Handke is a great writer really.

Writers are constantly being judged on what they say - but this Handke case must be applied to all famous writers - the great Russians were not exactly lovers of the Jews and Chechens etc and Dickens never shed a tear for the dead of the Bengal famine. All the great writers have their blind spots and some get away with carefully constructed biographies or incidents that portray them kindly....Naipaul comes to mind.

You say suspiciousness about writers - one should be curious and suspicious about why writers are not questioned about the odd and bizarre and unjust stands they take and why some become famous and some are not - its a big game in the end. Handke on the other hand presents with disgust when you read his quotes and then it recedes when you read the first pages of his “Moravian night”. Overall, murky business of writing and reading and perhaps only Japanese and Maqamat Arabic literature actually grasps the mono no aware of everything.

Cheers - nice blog you have.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Mirza, nearly missed your comment there.

Hello!

A big game in the end. If that's true then I'd rather just have my (Kashmiri) chai.

Salams,

b.

p.s. thanks for visiting.