Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Eternal Sunshine



Ay, it is sweet! Half hidden,--half revealed-- You see the dark folds of my shrouding cloak, And I, the glimmering whiteness of your dress: I but a shadow--you a radiance fair! Know you what such a moment holds for me? If ever I were eloquent. . .
---Rostand.

Winter moon,
with your pale shadows in the long grass.
Stone of light, mortal god
that speaks to the poet
Inspiring him with Love.
You, who in yourself are nothing,
and never fully yourself.
You, who stands alone in circular thoughts,
whose cold gaze is the destiny of the sea
Perchance you know something of my soul?
---b.

Next time,

'I'll live, in a dream, in a stranger's house

Where perhaps I have died

Where the mirrors keep something mysterious

to themselves in the evening light'.

Next time,

I will leap into the fire

To find your name.

Not lament the deepening of the shadows

Nor stop to hold the ashes.

Next time,

I will beckon you to my side

Raise a candle to your face.

Softly whisper, move closer, gently now

So to see who is who.

Next time,

I will not let the silver inherit the black

Or let the blue mourn the fading of the red.

Next time,

My loving gaze will pierce the dark glass

So there be no time after time.

Next time,

I will be true.

----b

1 comment:

Sadia Ajaz said...

C'est magnifique! (Seeing that I am not likely to go anywhere with my poetry, I might become famous translating yours into french!)

Really, it's great...

A bit jealous but always with the best wishes,
Astarte.