Sunday, January 25, 2009

the end of time




END

...How can there be an end to that which has no beginning?

Crow, so often dark and wayward, fell and fell, as if it was the most natural thing to do. "I'll send my soul into your dreams" said crow.

And then something wondrous happened. Crow spread her wings, seemed to change shape, and became so large that fox thought the sun was blotted out and that everything was hidden, folded in his shadow. Fox thought: this stone is crow, this old tree too; This glinting stream is , the skies are crow. Fire, snow.

It was like the eclipse of the sun, eclipse of the heart, that he had witnessed long ago...just standing still in the hushed silence as everything around him fell, as he lowered his gaze, let his face darken.

But then a thought-and this was fox's perennial problem: he had too many thoughts- came to fox and he was so bewildered by it that for a moment he forgot everything else, forgot to trust his senses or his heart. For was it not the case that crow was now inside him?

Fox lost track of time and wasn't so clever after all. "Crow has fallen for me", thought fox. And with that, he took one almighty leap towards solitary falling crow and swallowed her whole..all in one deft movement.

~~~~

And now many years have passed. Crow is no longer, or at least is nowhere to be found. But old, ridiculous fox still lingers here and there, tarries by the old tree where crow once sat. And a strange sight he is indeed!... this fox that walks alone in the forest with two shadows...And fox, this bare-forked animal, just says to himself , quietly:

Blacker in black, I am more nude

Only when I am faithless am I true

Ich bin du, wenn ich ich bin.

7 comments:

Roxana said...

so crow is such a heroic, mythical figure and the poor fox is made to look ridiculous and 'not so clever after all' :-)
and nothing can be done about it (unless I write a different story about the fox, but please, where can I get a picture of a wonderful red or silver haired fox? would a brown haired fox do?)

(it IS beautiful, forget my wicked tongue :-P)

* said...

hi r :)

b - i really love the image.

billoo said...

R,

i haven't seen the fox either..well, not in a while either. But every time I pass the place where I once did, I stop and point to that space, that absence. She was on Glastonbury Avenue.

Roxana, if I forgot your 'wicked tongue' then you wouldn't be you, and I wouldn't be I!:-)

anton, thanks. It's an inkblot from my notebook that just happened to come out like that!

Take care, both of you.

b.

Folded letters said...

b, do these things come from your subconscious? The ink blot and the words?

This is all very tragic. Was this the post where the third element of love was added?

Let's say you did have this story published (even though you don't want to do that) and let's say I'm 6 years old and you're reading the book to me. These would be my questions: 1-What happened to crows wings? 2-was fox hungry (oh and also...why did he wander around pretending she was still with him? Is it because he was sad about eating her?) and maybe also another question (because I am 6, and 6 years ask lots of questions) Why does fox like being sad?

billoo said...

fl, if you were 6-and the thought of that makes me smile-I'd say: now dear, have your hot chocolate (cocoa if we were back in the fifties)and go to sleep.

but I don't have the answers. I just made the story up! You can make up your own interpretation. But, no, fox wasn't hungry ( i think!).

Keep well,

b.

Folded letters said...

Well, you're a smart one b. To offer hot chocolate to little 6-year old me, that would definitely stop all my question asking. But only if you remembered the whipping cream. Because if not, then I'd be asking "What about the whipping cream?"

And, still I wonder about the sad part.

billoo said...

Hmm...I can see you're a problem child! :-)
Shall we imagine you're another age now?

whipped cream?? dear, oh dear. No, coudn't afford such extravagances, I'm afraid. So, no can do, comrade fl.