Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Dark Path

A shade of yellow, that once stood opaque
in the rainbow of each glitzy morning,
now became translucent, as if the sun
broke against his own window....

I must tell you
how he managed as the lights went slowly out
to look inside the top glow of each object
and make in his mind a spectrum of inner
texture, of an essence isolate from the
nervous trembling of things struck by light.
---Marvin Bell

How sad we are together!
On the walls-flowers and birds

Are languishing on clouds

The windows are boarded up forever

What is out there-frost or storm?
---Anna

..[b]
efore the metal shaving mirrors
and see the shaky future grow familiar

We are all old-timers

each of us holds a locked razor...

---Lowell.

b, locked in, a life in parenthesis. K, open, out-reaching, crooked. Grammars of the soul: asking too many questions, Bulleh and Augustine became questions to themselves. And you?

I am as one coarsened by feckless grief

Storm cloud and sun together bring out the

yellow of stone.

Why is yellow the saddest colour on earth? Isn't that what you asked in your oblique way?

We do not care if this has been the century of departures, or emigrations, only your own, your own black path out of here, is of any concern to you, for we, wir negativen, have found a lonely road, and stumble without guidance or an inheritance..I say we out of politeness...

Night falls. Our faces darkened with meditative thoughts and strange premonitions. Lord, you make us blind to ourselves. And this is a blessing-we are told. Distance is the soul of beauty. You want everything to fall, to be lost, so that you can reach out your hand, or someone can, in your name. But you have forgotten, or maybe you could never have known: if you walk on a path for too long you forget that it is a path, or where you are going. Sadness slows us down.

Age is our acceptance of dullness. I've forgotten your face. I should have painted it in my heart and become an infidel. But now it only shimmers, as if infinitely distant, like the reflection of the pale moon on a stream. And I, like a drunk Li Po, want to drown myself in it. And now I think to myself: you were impossible, and perhaps this dark path wasn't a path after all. It was the light from within that failed...

La Valse DAmelie (Piano Versi - Yann Tierson

5 comments:

Roxana said...

'Why is yellow the saddest colour on earth?'

have you understood that looking at my pictures or is it a coincidence? :-)

billoo said...

That is *the* question.

I have not understood.

Who can say what is a co-incidence and what is not, which things time brings together and which she does not? Only someone who is out of time, no?

salaams,

Khalid.

Roxana said...

why is 'time' feminine?

billoo said...

I don't know..it just sounds more natural...i mean, if we're not going to say "it" or Father Time then saying she just trips off the tongue, I guess. Or, if time is 'mean' then perhaps it follows! :-)

Sorry, sorry, couldn't resist! :-)

Roxana said...

more natural???

i thought it was a reminiscence of your german :-P, the only language i know in which 'time' is a feminine one. but in romanian it's even more interesting, we have a pair: a masculine and a feminine word for 'time' (and i don't know which one is meaner :-)

how is it in your (other) language?