Wednesday, April 22, 2009
The Red and the Green
O Physician, come back! my life is ebbing away.
Compelled by love, I dance, I dance.
This love has set up camp inside me.
It is I, who filled the cup with this poison and drank it.
Come back right away, else, I will surely die.
Compelled by love, I dance, I dance.
The sun has set, its glow remains.
Grant me a sight of you again! I would die for it!
What a mistake I made, not going with you.
Compelled by love I dance, I dance.
Mother do not bar me from this love.
Whoever turns back unloaded boats that have left?
How foolish I was, not going with the boatman.
Compelled by love I dance, I dance.
Peacocks sing in the groves of love.
My beautiful beloved is my Ka’ba, my Qibla.
He injured me, then turned away.
Compelled by love I dance, I dance.
Bullhe Shah, I sit at Inayat's door,
He clothed me in robes of green and red.
When I stamped my heel, I found him.
Compelled by love I dance, I dance.
--Raza's translation.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let us go the land of the blind, love
where no-one knows anybody
Your footsteps mixed with mine
my green desire mingled with your blood
It is bitter, it is sweet
What type of poison is this
that you slip to me with black hands?
Sway and glide and fall
in the circle of my being
Until neither you nor the fire remain
Let your hair down for me
And float and turn and spin
Until nothing exists finally,
but the red and the green
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Hi b :) You're irritated with blogging? How can that be? The things you've written/posted lately have been some of the best. And everytime that I read you, I'm glad. So, please stay.
omg did you really write the green poem yourself, b??? it is soooo beautiful, can't believe it :-P
and the song is simply wonderful, i have no words... this music has set up camp inside me.
thanks, nicky. But the brothers have said I must stop. Back to the caves for me...soon.
'fraid so, r..but it isn't a poem, just thoughts without form or any style..just random jottings that I like to put down when listening to music.
I should ask the dougal for a translation of the whole thing-that was what her work was on.
This was from the dominant tradition in these parts..now being eroded by the people in the post below it.
anyways...
it is a poem! and a wonderful one as that!
Post a Comment