Tuesday, May 19, 2009

CERN, Mice, and the Fundamental Questions



Well, this is it. CERN will be switched on tonight. The physicist said that it would help answer our "fundamental questions": who am I ? (amnesia?), what am I doing here ? (which is what my students say in my class!); where am I ? (the tourist) ; how did I get here?

She smiled at the questions, as if to say: 'And if I answered you, would you know me then?'
----Courtesy of Rinku

Apart from Bulleh and Augustine I don't know anyone who asks such questions. If you are such a person I'd like to hear from you.

Okay, okay, I'm sceptical that science can even answer these questions (you knew that, didn't you!) but you've got to say that this is absolutely exhilarating..just the quest, the hunger to know. Nope, not the lilies in the fields, the sun or the moon..nowhere else is there such doubt, such incredible inquisitiveness. And isn't fundamentalism really just a rejection of this openness?

I'm a bit worried though. Having lived in London I know that rats and mice love tunnels. How will they deal with the photons? You know, every time I mention the word rat I see one (well, it's happened twice-and so I'm not saying the word again). I know some of you (Z, for instance) think that's because there's a mystic correspondence between my rat nature and theirs. But still...

You must remember this

A kiss is still a kiss,

a sigh is just a sigh.

The fundamental things apply

As time goes by.




As Time Goes By - Ibrahim Ferrer - Jaxxs Latin Collectionz

2 comments:

Folded letters said...

I'm going to have to write a post now. Aw b, conspiracy theories are entertaining. Beats the truth sometimes. And I prefer to call delusions....illustrations of the mind. They're what /keep/ me sane.....usually.

Until the truth walks up and says, "Hi n, you are stupid. Now run along and have a nice day." Then, I think I cry. :(

But seriously, I can see where some readers might find you mystical (speaking of uncanny...). You write in such an ambiguous style, many different meanings can be gleaned. And, is that why you do this blog? For other people to find their own answers?

billoo said...

fl,
can't say that I agree with you here. If entertainment's what you want then far better to watch Inspector Morse or Columbo.

And doesn't one walk up to the truth rather than the truth...?

Delusions are what keep you sane? Are you serious, nicky? That doesn't seem to be a good way to be.

anyways, speak to you soon.

Take care,

K.