Monday, October 05, 2009

sour grapes

You cannot have everything you want. Get used to it. You always want what you cannot have. You've got used to that as well! Predictably irrational.

What is this enigmatic impulse that does not allow one to settle down in the achieved, the finished?
---Milosz.

Listen you son of a bitch, life isn't always a goddam football game! You won't always get the girl. Life is rejection and pain and loss.

--Exley

Would you like some of these delicious purple grapes dear fox, asked crow.

No thank you crow, I probably wouldn't like them anyway. The swami had said: "never try what you don't like and never like what you don't try".

But you are a fox, fox, and a fox should know many things. I've a good mind to...khair...

But tell me my beloved crow, you whose mind is like bronze and whose will as resolute as stone, if I drink this pleasing wine of yours will I be free, like you, alone above the world?

Oh fox, the problem with you is that you ask too many questions! And they're usually the wrong ones as well! Remember Khayyam said drink and forget your bondage to the idol of the days. You have been tamed by your love..an oriental at heart if ever there was one! But I, I am free to desire what I cannot have, to imagine and love blue flowers and blue horizons, to dream much and to visit distant lands that do not exist.

Fox, who hadn't been to university, found it difficult to comprehend crow's wise words. Too worldly to truly appreciate crow's beautiful, wondrous poetic soul. And he began to hate crow, hate the thing he loved.

But still fox looked up to crow, munching on her grapes, oblivious of poor old fox and what he was going through. Fox was lost, crow found.

sky gathers light

a figure a long way off could be, un-

named, the centre of the world and in between

this known and this unknown, the exclusive, the vague,

in these gaps we gather guilt, and love, and die.

Crow asked fox why he was sad, why he was always hanging around this tree if he really didn't like the grapes.

That's hard to say, answered fox gingerly. Was it the light within that failed or fate itself? Had I wished it otherwise would I have broken through the dark glass, would the mirage have fallen away? Who can say? I am me, and you are you.One of us lives, one of us dies, but which one of us is free?

Crow laughed at fox. Oh fox, you are silly,what can you possibly mean?! You do talk utter nonsense sometimes.

Well, crow, you have never thought of me, so if you can really desire what you cannot imagine possible, then wish yourself me.

But that is easy, little fox! And crow fell from her great height, to be a bit like fox. As she did so fox, with one almighty leap, pounced on her and devoured her and the grapes in one gleeful swoop.The red and the black, the red and the black...

cloud, bird, fox, the flow of light, the dancing

pilgrimage of water, vast stillness

of spellbound ephemerae on a lit windowpane,

animal voices...wind

conversing with rain, ocean with rock, stuttering

of fire to coal.

But the swami was right...those grapes, even in such a sweet mouth, tasted sour!


---John Riley and Denise Levertov.


8 comments:

Roxana said...

such a cute fox!!! and you are being so harsh on her :-)

hi b :-)

Folded letters said...

What does one make with sour grapes? Huh...oh yeah wine. Or is it whinge?

billoo said...

yes, that fox is really cute! I'm sure Ive seen her before (Glastonbury Avenue)

harsh? don't get you..anyways, haven't finished the post ..in fact, can't think of anything else to say..wanted to make it into a story but the fox-thought has escaped me...

hi! :-)

b.

billoo said...

hey, nikki, where have u been??

Well, what do you know, you write about a fox and two show up ! :-)

sorry, sorry, only teasing :-)

arm is "frozen" ..can't write..

take care,

b.

Roxana said...

but of course you are criticizing her for being so irrational, no? perhaps the unseen side of the story would change that, we are waiting for your arm to warm up again :-)

billoo said...

roxana, arm has thawed..knew i shouldn't have left it in the freezer (it's okay, you don't have to laugh!)..but I can't think of a story...only a boring economic post on freedom, wellbeing etc. Comes from the chapter I'm reading called sour grapes in a book called..err..sour grapes.

But no, aceptance of one's fate or inevitability might in fact be rational but one would still not approve of it; on the other hand, not accepting one's limitations, trying to be what one cannot, or liking something one cannot have, might be irrational but is not something we necessarily disapprove of. no?

Ayway, all this is meaningless...much better to just look at that rather forlorn fox! Well, I think so, anyway!

nabs has agreed to write a guest post. I hope it's on Russell or the ham sandwhich theorem or research.

cheerio, old bean.

Folded letters said...

Oh b! I'm so glad it was only your arm that was frozen... Did you get it stuck in there reaching for the ice cream?! Surely not the ice cubes...those come out the front. It's all very curious. (wink)

Arrrr! Did we ruin your story telling? Women are no good. Especially the foxes. Please regain your mojo...I wanna hear what the cranky fox does with those grapes.

Oh...by the way, I'm hiding in the mountains, remember. It's cold up in this joint. If anyone's frozen it's me. It's
snowed twice!

Acceptance is the only option at times. Doesn't matter if we like it or not.

billoo said...

ice cream..I wish! if you're gonna get your arms frozen then it might as well be over something of value!

oh, I wouldn't say *no* good :-)

mountains? What's you doing there? Hiding from who (or what)?

err...dunno, even if something is inevitable I don't think we have to like it. That doesn't seem right to me. But anyways...

keep well,

b.