Wednesday, December 16, 2009

the strange case of...


"I stimulated him... If I irritated him by a certain methodical slowness in my mentality, that irritation served only to make his own flame-like intuitions and impressions flash up the more vividly and swiftly. Such was my humble role in our alliance"

I actually did have a friend called Watson..the dougal nearly ran him over and I think that was the end of our friendship..after that, there was the mongol, who really is Watson-down to the very last detail (military background, a good-natured, dependable, straightforward chap, a fine fellow indeed).

~~~

Cheltenham, 3:45 , what do you say, Watson old boy? And the rugger? What, what? Not scrumming today? (Watson always was partial to young boys)
[sorry Q, couldn't resist, but take it like a man]

~~~

At the hospital today. Oxygen mask. The doctor and nurse conspicuous by their absence. Then a sweeper, a charming old woman with red-dyed hair, thin face, and a small stud in her nose, said: "breathe in, it will clear your throat like a wonder". She continued sweeping the floor, the ward now eerily quiet. Then she added: "take deep breaths, like this...".

"Pray that everything is okay uma (mother)"

She put the palms of her hands together and raised them to the level of her mouth-like a Hindu, I guess. What a wonderful gesture. Inshallah, she said. No, the East- for all its terrible twistedness and cruelty- is still the East.

2 comments:

Roxana said...

why were you at the hospital, today, b? or is it just another story, from another place and time?

Anonymous said...

well spotted, watson! :-)