Tuesday, October 26, 2010

half-hiding



How did it begin?

I do not know what age I am,
I am no mortal age
I know nothing of cities
I cannot die
Unless I walk outside.
---Kavanagh.

To come accidentally upon
My self.

Like a fool,
who finds himself
Lost.
"I caught myself...," said the Buddha-soul.
How strange your fall.

The placeless heaven.
was always there.
never here.

I have become a question to myself,
I think I am.
We hide ourselves
from one another.

and you?
where were you
when the questions stopped?

But when did it begin?

Why, my soul, do you sigh within?

...


6 comments:

Roxana said...

!!!

Anonymous said...

er..yes..thank you for that thoughtful comment, roxana! :-)

you know, sometimes i think u *are* 'sexy' (the commenter).

:-)

Take care,

b.

Anonymous said...

parfait.x

Celia said...

What's happening, b? Are you rummaging in old boxes of family snaps - finest way to waste hours that I know of. And why was the Dougal wearing a tartan skirt? Were you in Scotland, or what?

It's on my conscience that I have similar boxes gathering dust in the attic. Don't feel brave enough right now to re-visit the past, which in any event is always merely a construction, an invented narrative. So, focussing firmly on the present and the immediate future, I shall tomorrow travel to Macclesfield. Quote: in 2004, research was published in The Times naming Macclesfield and its borough the most uncultured town in Britain. Ah, but it was also the centre of the silk-industry in UK, hence the week-end Seminar I'm attending. Taking Motherland with me.

Yes, to answer your question, I do still write letters - mostly to Alice!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Ian.

Hope all is well.

Salaams,

b.

Anonymous said...

C! Yes, that's it. Rummaging. Nope, not Scotland but a place called Wah (which was near where I was born).

Tartan. No idea where that came from. Paisley, btw, is a Kashmiri design, isn't it? Anyway, people still play the bagpipes on wedding s here. Bizarre. And some journalists still write " in the wee hours..."

Seminar? on what? anything interesting? Are you speaking? Letters are great fun. Sometimes wonder about the fad for publishing the private correspondences between people. Always thought that letters were quite intimate.

Was just reading Lesley Chamberlain in Prospect. She interviews the Archbishop (or archie bishop as my Cypriot friend used to say)

He's also get a very interesting few pages on economics.

Orr?

Speak to you soon, C.

Keep well,

b.