Wednesday, September 05, 2012

winter breath

These first steps, footmarks, were they mine or yours?

In my coat I sit
At the window sill
Wintering with snow
That did not melt
It fell long ago
At night, by stealth
I was where I am
When the snow began.
---Menashe.
 
The book said, watch your breath, count your breath...this song of emptiness and fulness. You said, in your funny voice, "do I bring you up?" and my breath trailed away to some frozen, distant land...
 
I shall imagine that each poem I read is really about you, cast off rememberings. This was the place that was the place. Strange how strange the heart becomes, how much our faces darken with time. You, on the edge of the picture, nearly gone, my hand resting a second on a random page, against the system of loss.

The snow, the white object of our past, the splintered frames, the shards of glass on the wall to keep trespassers out, preparing us for the sharpness of the outside world....this "there" that holds us rapt. The frozen ground, gnarled roots and knotted weeds. Here, where no love is.

You said, in your sad, melancholic voice, "Do I bring you down?"

The ancient sadness falling, like forest green. The heart in its own endless silence kneeling.

Within the dream you said,
Let us kiss then,

I put my mouth close to,
Flow North, flow South..
It is not love you will find.

The narrowing sun
lights her eyeleashes
 
 

3 comments:

Roxana said...

oh

my hand resting a second on a random page, against the system of loss.

you are sweeping me off my feet, yet again
marvelous marvelous

is it you in the wintry picture?!! ah this too, this picture, this snow, this moment

Roxana said...

breathless

billoo said...

yes, it is me, was me; this snow, this moment: gone, or rapidly fading like the others I stumbled across yesterday. In some of them white blotches have appeared, in others it looks as if the background is merging into the foreground, so someone's arm has disappeared, has been eaten up. Most disconcerting to see these ghost-like photos.

And so strange to hold these small photos in one's hands and think that this is all that is left. little r looked at them and asked: "where am I?" She's into the stage of asking "why?" to almost everything. nearly as bad as you! :-))

you have to wonder, where would we be without questions?!

thanks for dropping in/by.

always a pleasure to have you here.

b.