Wednesday, August 27, 2008

One, two

We know that one times one is one,
but an unicorn times a pear
have no idea what it is.
We know that five minus four is one
but a cloud minus a sailboat
have no idea what it is.

We know that eight
divided by eight is one,
but a mountain divided by a goat
have no idea what it is.
We know that one plus one is two,
but me and you,
oh,we have no idea what it is!

---courtesy of Roxana

the human loneliness
is the endless oneness of man. Man is one;
man is alone in his world. We are the one,
even we, who whisper together now,
closely, as though we were two,as children do,
knowing as much as we, and making believe,
even as we believe, that another is there.

---William Bronk.

Well, you've seen through the world (what else is a university degree good for..sovereign becoming, you were told. There are no anchors, they brainwashed us); you've seen through other people too (who, in their heart of hearts hasn't, you say to yourself, felt a degree of contempt for the shallowness of other people?) And now, finally, you see through your self..and my, how the light shines through! So, walk naked with me for a while, in this splendid nothingness, and neither world nor human shall see us. But only a while...

~~~~

And now for something totally different:

C, I know I promised I'd go to the Proms with you one of these days but the thought of listening to music with other people strikes me as a bit odd (and I feel nauseous at the prospect of being surrounded by people waving flags -union jacks or the green and white..it's all the same). Never did like crowds. Tribal mentality. All for one and one for all. Sod that! Oceanic feeling. No, I'm seasick.

Watching the circus (aka. the Democratic convention). The beeb is in love with the razzle -dazzle of it : "Clinton got a rock-star's reception"..a "great performer", 'Teddy' Kennedy, the last heir of Camelot. It's like the WWF-it doesn't matter if it's "true" as long as it entertains. So, as long as you can string along the familiar words: constitution, freedom, hope, change, then there you go. Show 'em you're a fighter (America hates losers) , rally the troops with any jingoism you can think of (or, rather, that the spin machine can think of). Proud to be an American, love the wife and kids..and old Biden, with tears in his eyes, telling it as it is, the homespun wisdom of grandma Biden...yeah, I think we've got the message..now where's the apple pie?

And again, the music. The frenzy. Plato saw it. When one becomes two, a 'we', then what happens to the one?

5 comments:

Celia said...

But b, dear, I wasn't proposing we go to The Last Night of the Proms. Heaven forfend! No, we should hear something gentle and uplifting, even sonmething NEW.It would remind me of being taken there by my father for the first performance of Michael Tippett's A Child of Our Time - which had us both in tears. Or, another time, being there for the first performance of Britten's War Requiem; only in real life can one experience the thrilling effect of horns and percussion at climactic moments. At such moments, the rest of the audience disappear and become non-existent. Honestly. I promise.

billoo said...

oh, I thought they waved flags all the time! :)

okay, yes..but will there be tea and scones after?

Now that I think of it..is the henry green thing also about early memories of foggy old london?

orr?

hope all is well.

take care,

b.

Celia said...

We Should have tea and scones BEFORE. You must understand that there are strictly observed TIMES for things like tea, which is taken between three and four o'clock.
'Still stand the church clock at ten to three
And is there honey still for tea?'
Rupert Brooke. (Look it up:))

AFTER the concert, we must go to a pub and drink warm beer, or alternatively to a fish and chip shop. Sophisticated types might go to a bistro and drink wine.....

Celia said...

Forgot to add: yes, Henry Green IS very much about foggy London after the war, which is when I knew it best. So I really suggest you AVOID Patrick Hamilton's novels: Hangover Square,A Story of Darkest London, for example, or Gaslight, a Victorian Thriller. Of course,there are other Green novels; the one about a decaying country house in Ireland (Living, I think) is very atmospheric and gives a convincing account of the lives and loves of those doomed to live there.

billoo said...

"You must understand that there are strictly observed TIMES for things like tea, which is taken between three and four o'clock."

Oh, C. You're so talibanesque! No, it's always a good time for tea (and scones! Pooh would say).

so, no, not BEFORE. I'd hate to fall asleep having stuffed myself!