Wednesday, February 11, 2009

4 comments:

Beth Fernandez said...

Nothing rocks like qawwali - though no qawwali rocks quite like his version of 'Yeh Jo Halka Halka Suroor Hai'.

On an entirely different topic (forgive the grasshopper mind) - have you come across the norwegian poet Olaf Hauge? I came across a book in Brussels last week (an English speaker reading a Norwegian poet in French - probably not what he ever intended). Very sparse but very wonderful. Lots of rocks, rivers, droplets, particles and expanses, The closest comparison is maybe haiku though without the same metric discipline.
Hope you are well
Beth

billoo said...

Beth, hello!

good to hear from you. It's been a while. No, haven't heard of the poet. But will look out for his/her work.

How are you?And how are things in Belgium (if that's where you still are). Please bring me some Belgian chocolates next time we're both in old Blighty ( a word derived from Hindi!).

Yes, Nusrat. Great stuff. I was dismayed to see his cd's under 'India' in the world music section at HMV!

oh well, never mind.

Take care,

b.

Beth Fernandez said...

I first heard 'blighty' in The Queen is Dead but didn't realise its origin until I read Forster's passage to India.
Belgium is fine though I took a train to Amsterdam for a meeting today and pulling into the city it struck me how light and bright it is compared to Brussels. I'm growing quite fond of the latter but god is it grey! Work is generally interesting but often surreal but maybe thats work.
Order for chocolate received and noted.
stay well
B

billoo said...

Beth, surreal? Why? Anyway, glad to hear that it's going well for you.

Yes, looking forward to the chocolates..er..i mean meeting you! :-)

take care,

b.