Two of your friends-so supremely intelligent and charming that you think twice about writing this-have written the same thing: effectively: the existence of the world is justified only as an aesthetic phenomenon. Always the same: not the artist with a vision of the good, a loving attention to the world, but the "unthinking and amoral" artist, with the 'will' of the artist, the sheer ability to create and destroy in itself being what counts. Whether it is a 'demonic' will or not does not ultimately matter. Jonas was right after all: in the Gnostic age there would only be talk of "autocratic power" and pleasure that is "consumed".
Something in you rebels at this 'nonsense on stilts'. Corruptio optimi pessima
Is it not still the tent of scattered stars
the high transfigured world that love has made?
--Goethe
What is important is to keep our mind high in the world of true understanding, and returning to the world of our daily experience to seek therein the truth of beauty. No matter what we might be doing at a given moment , we must not forget that is has a bearing upon our everlasting self…’
—-Basho.
‘Since the willful Twenties, the committals of the Thirties, it seems to me that my life as a man and as a writer has been spent on crossing and re-crossing frontiers and that is at the heart of any talent I have…Frontier life has been nourishing to me. Throwing something of oneself away is way of becoming, for the moment, other people and I have always thought that unselfing oneself, speaking for others, justifying those who cannot speak, giving importance to the fact that they live, is especially the privilege of the storyteller, and even the critic-who is also an artist. A sign of old age in myself is that, knowing my time is limited, I find myself looking at the streets and their architecture much longer and more intensely and at Nature and landscape. I gaze at the plane tree at the end of the garden , studying its branches and leaves. I look a long time at flowers. As I am always on the watch for dramatic changes in the London sky… I store up the procession of headlands and terrifying ravines..and all of the landscapes that have formed me. '
—V.S. Pritchett, As Old as the Century.
‘ One of our contemporaries is cured of his torment by simply contemplating a landscape. '
---Camus.
'…[t]hat not all promises would be kept, that some things are in fact irrevocable and that it had counted after all, every evasion and every procrastination, every mistake, every word, all of it.’
—-Joan Didion
‘These fragments I have shored up against my ruins.’
—T.S. Eliot
Some of these words are tinged with despair whilst others suggest a cool equanimity in the face of the dissolution that time and the world bring about. In both there is an attention to detail and only a hair’s breadth separates the different tempers. Pritchett’s fabulous essay is the perfect example of a slow-burning happiness, of a style of writing that conveys a rock-like understanding of the world: a serene accumulation of experiences, an age-old trust in the certainties of the world, a keen awareness that in time all that is superfluous will be worn away and only the simple will remain. Perfection lies in the cadence of the voice, the eagle-eye that picks out a word from the many possibilities, in the miracle of how a word evokes not just its own lineage of comprehensions, that deep store of transmitted meanings with their subtle gradations that is embedded in the language-consciousness of a writer, but also in the way in which a particular word will interact with both those that are not chosen as well as the silences between it and other words.
It is as if the sheer passing of time confers on the writer a deeper sense of his surroundings, a greater appreciation of life’s still moments. There is a way of knowing that derives from becoming increasingly estranged from the world and one’s life and there is another that comes from finding one’s place, the meridian of one’s life, and growing ever more deeply in love with it. There are mapmakers who never leave home and then there are those for whom the lonely, high seas beckon. For the latter it is the fragments that are the ruins…
But let us also say there are two souls in one...rooted, open: a broken circle.
The Romans kept an image of Terminus [the god of boundaries] in the temple of Jupiter...and the interesting thing is that the roof above the place where the image sat was open to the sky, as if to say that a god of the boundaries and borders of the earth needed to have access to the boundless, the whole unlimited height and width and depth of the heavens themselves. As if to say that all boundaries are necessary evils and that the truly desirable condition is the feeling of being unbounded, of being king of infinite space. And it is that double capacity that we posses as human beings-the capacity to be attracted at one and the same time to the security of what is intimately known and the challenges and entrancements of what is beyond us-it is this double capacity [that is the truly human]
--Seamus Heaney
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
"the existence of the world is justified only as an aesthetic phenomenon" ---- but you could also give this a tragic, schopenhauerian sense: the world is bearable only as an aesthetic phenomemon, i.e. liveable only when not embroiled in its continual strife ..... "justified" as in what this very old musician (survivor of the camps) said in an an interview - Bach really is the only justification I can see for this world.
all these of course are nothing but my own interpretations, my fragments I prefer to shore up against the ruins - my way to wriggle out of this notion of aesthetics/art as something amoral, which I abhor (art is too much about meaning , so it can't afford to be amoral)
ah, b, I haven't been at all in an arguing mood these days... that's why I can only offer this beautiful excerpt (thanks to pensum):
http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/736099.html
(I also wonder how come so many of your posts of your posts are written 'against' something - I am not talking about the poetical ones, of course - as if you were some kind of old crusader engaged in a continuous battle against the world :-)
R, what a shame..I was looking forward to arguing with you! :-) Maybe after breakfast? Oh, go on. I'll pay you.
against the world..hmm..you really SHOuLD have been a shrink! :-) Er..I guess most of the ones on happiness, the internet and so on are against something now that I think of it, and there's been more than the odd rant here and there. But I don't get your question: how come.
One might as well have asked how come some are on films!
No, no battles. That made me smile.
the old kasmiri story is that a kashmir man was asked to fire a gun and he said, yeah, okay, just put it in the sun and it will go off itself. So, kashmiris don't argue with the world-another generalization!-just with other people! :-)
Thank you for your insight, ffflaneur (I hope I've got the number of 'f's right!) and thanks for dropping in.
Yes, I see what you're saying. I have always wondered exactly what it meant. But you know, something in me just can't admit that life is or only should be "bearable".
On a beautiful sunday morning what else can I say but that there is some deep desire for peace, stillness.
best wishes,
b.
Post a Comment