
in summer season, when soft was the sun.
snow fell, undated. light
each summer thronged the glass
...
perhaps being old is having lighted rooms
inside your head, and people in them acting...
rather than words comes the thought of high windows:
the sun-comprehending glass,
and beyond it, the deep blue air, that shows
nothing, and is nowhere, and is endless.
---Larkin.
At Putney station, old but busy. There's more than a hint of winter in the air tonight: hands in pockets, ice in the blood. For the first time the warm yellow lights in other people's houses look comforting, welcoming. Life returns to the interior. For the first time you want to look inside other people's windows, spy on the petty dramas that unfold. You, riddled with light, wonder how totally different lives can carry on so close and yet so oblivious to your own.
Tonight, wise mothers will tell their children not to stay out too late. The enfolding darkness and the bleak buildings have never looked so devoid of light, empty. Is it only us? Reality, whether shallow, dramatic or profound, is indoors. Living this veiled life, anything can be endured-even a cramped space-if there is light and warmth.
The sky is somehow mysteriously darker than it has ever been before-or ever will be. Suddenly, without warning, the station lights come on with a ping and a flicker and there is an audible sigh of relief. Light returns. Holds us. We measure our distance from one another by it; only our shadows criss-cross one another. The light in your eyes has grown old, become soft, sadder. Take a gentle step into this artificial light and smile. Remember summer.
But for a moment we're all sailors on the top deck. We're shipwrecked, you and me. The old man was right. Surround yourself. Keep it out. We strain our eyes, search and search in the dimming evening light. Is there a human soul out there in the silence, the sea?
I'm lost in my own thoughts for some reason and remain quiet for a long time. On the district line our train pulls into a station. I look across at another train that seems to be at a greater height than ours. Between its rusty wheels I see a shimmering arc of light. For a minute it appears as if there is another world beyond those lights and I'm nearly spirited away there. Then the train pulls away, revealing nothing but a simple and tired plastic white light. So, this is reality! Don't look too closely at it.
11 comments:
among other memorable quotes in this very beautiful post, i choose this one (now, later on something else might ring true in my heart): 'You, riddled with light, wonder how totally different lives can carry on so close and yet so oblivious to your own'. have you written this about me, b? :-) because it is exactly my feeling, ever.
and did you take that picture? very interesting, i like the light purple and the soft line of the train, like rainbow.
Er..how can I have written this 'about you' , Roxana, when I don't know you?! (and haven't even met you in the dream of a flower!) :-0
But thank you for your kind words. I think you and n are the last two readers here.
no, I found this photo by typing in Putney station (good ol' google!)
I've got a camera and really must start taking photos because I see so many interesting things (no real koala bears, though!..and don't ask: "but what *is* real?")
:-0
okay, gotta run now.
see ya'
b.
p.s hi :-)
pffft, there is 'knowing' and 'knowing', isn't there, b?
you would be surprised to find out how many silent readers you've got (and i've got the proof! and no, i am not some kind of hacker tracking the hits on your blog :-)
you've been telling me this about your camera since last summer, i'm afraid, and still nothing is done about it - damn oriental laziness! :-)
yes, I like distinctions Roxana! But you forgot to mention: there is also 'knowing'.
No, not surprised really. Some have tried to contact me from beyond the grave..and then there's always 'sexy'. What a pity Nabil couldn't work out how to decode that message-or maybe it was a message from an alien!
Yes, must admit to Kashmiri laziness.."oriental"?!! that's sooo 19 th century. :-0
Dear, oh dear.
but no, what "proof" is this? You've got me intrigued. Is she Romanian?
take care,
b.
decoding a message b? funny I just happen to be playing with a puzzle right now and then I thought I should take a look at your blog. Hmm, interesting.
you won't believe this, but i got the same message myself!!!! this 'sexy' must have found out that you were talking about him/her and wanted to lure me too :-) i haven't approved of the comment, though :-) this is the advantage of being a dictator.
i thought you might like this:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/07/opinion/07Brooks.html?_r=1
ps. and i am sorry, but i won't sacrifice my beloved word 'oriental' for the sake of some political correctness. nonono - what image can be more beautiful than that of a setting sun? besides, it sounds lovely too.
you're right, i don't believe it!
What, 'sexy' is after both of us?? How twisted is that?! :-)
yes, i always thought you'd be a good dictator! :-0
political correctness?
Why shouldn't you? I mean, if another person finds it offensive, would you?
have you read Said's Orientalism, btw?
see ya'
b.
oh, i'm sorry if i've offended you. well, if somebody finds that offensive i will try to explain why and how i use it (totally independently of colonialism, of course - i know you will argue that such a discourse is not possible anymore) - but if that person still finds it offensive, then i will stop using it in front of him or her, of course. i have a deep trouble with this way of condemning words to death, but that is surely my own limitation.
No, you haven't offended me, roxana. Personally, I don't think of it as a negative word..in fact, I find it quite amusing because it is so antiquated.
My only point was that I don't think we can easily just label any objections to its use as being some sort of political correctness-as if how a word is used is really *always* independent of its political or historical connotations.
"i know you will argue that such a discourse is not possible anymore) "
Again, why are you jumping to conclusions? of course a discourse is possible-always has been. But that doesn't mean,I think, that words that have (or had) misogynist or racial connotations suddenly drop away.
think about it: "oriental laziness". As opposed to what? Western dynamism?
salaams
or should I say goodbye?
b.
as opposed to Western greed ?
ha, b, see, another proof that these hidden readers are REAL - now ffflaneur has revealed her presence :-) thank you, dear fff!
(and i have started an answer to this but got caught up in many other things, i hope i can finish it - or else i will write later in a mail)
Post a Comment