Saturday, May 09, 2009

are friends electric?



are friends electric? In the world of the internet, liquid modernity, and 'instant messaging' what of the weight that binds one human being to another? Can common interests, for example, survive without a common place, without the slow accumulation of time together?

He was free but in an infinite way, so that he felt weightless above the earth. He lacked that weight of human relationships that inhibits free movements, those tears and farewells, those reproaches and those joys, everything that a man strokes or tears apart every time he forms a gesture, those thousand chains that bind him to others and make him heavy.

-----Exupery.

16 comments:

Roxana said...

oh enough of that, b :-) you have already convinced me that we are not real :-)

but, joke aside. you are right, of course. and my own experience with friends met here in the web world has been a very traumatic one, i am sorry to say this (i don't mean you now, to be clear :-). i haven't recovered completely, and it seems i won't, ever. i guess i was only protesting to fight against my own feelings which i didn't want to accept. but, your posts have succeeded.

and now i don't want to get sad, so i will just wave and say 'hi, dear K' :-)

Folded letters said...

b, I was tossing coins with the I Ching, and came up with #34 for now and #11 for later. All thanks go to merc for introducing me to I Ching. I hope you have peace in your life. If you decide to stop so be it. Or if you stay, I will still be here. I'd be your last reader, even if your posts sank to the levels of my blogs. Using homemade music vids made with clips from popular tv shows.

This media is new, and I think we should ride the wave. Cheaper than therapy...or so I was told.

billoo said...

Er,how can I, who am not real, really convince you, if you are not real as well (even assuming I wanted to, which is not really the case)?!

Anyways, it's surely too early to say how it will pan out; for all we know the internet might bring people closer together. I'm just asking whether speed can overcome distance, whether 'place' is important.

And what is blogging? Some sort of search for an 'authentic' self, an escape from mundane reality, a search for recognition, to be perceived, or a reflection of our inability to integrate our best thoughts/selves into our daily lives? To live well?

This reminds me of Solaris. Through repetition do we reach the real?

Oh yes,

hi ! :-)

b.

Roxana said...

hi, b, again :-)

why does it have to be an 'either-or'? and who is to say which are our best selves?

anyway, just ranting while eating my lunch salad :-)

billoo said...

which numbers did you get today? do they mean anything?

Here's my tip for the day: 7, 26, 41, 19, 5, 37.

Now, if these come up in the lottery I seriously expect you to share out the dosh. Or else...ve ave wayz of making youz talk,ya?

billoo said...

lunch salad? sounds fantastic, roxana! I'm known as the 'salad chef' amongst my cousins-because I'm always making salads. I'd kill for a salad right now.

hmm.

okay, back to work :-(

Folded letters said...

I think you are teasing me, b. I don't toss coins everyday, just when the whim hits me. And I looked up your lottery numbers, I think you're playing jokes on me. That's ok, I'm open to input from all sources, 3000 year old Chinese oracles or.....you.

And you shouldn't get violent over lettuce, that's not nessasary. I'l grow you some and mail it to you. Can't promise freshness, but I'm sure you can find some way to make it work. ;)

(I don't know what I just wrote, how fun. 14 hours in a car with 4 little people, and 2 cranky big ones)

billoo said...

yes, please do. But no mayo. The postman usually takes that as his 'cut' anyway.

Well, yes, I don't know what I just wrote-and I'm sitting here in a quiet room alone!

You looked the numbers up?? What, like google?

take care,

b.

Folded letters said...

Yes, like google....how do you know so much b? Not fair, really.

I'll have to agree about the mayo----on salad? No thank you. It's ok on a turkey club. But, can you imagine the state of lettuce with mayo slathered on top. Soggy blech.

Roxana said...

ah, now i am listening to that song...
:-)

the music is not what i love best, but i like it... and the lyrics are wonderful...

however i don't see how this could cheer me... my doubting nature whispers in my ear that he is just telling beautiful lies and he will not wait at all :-)

Folded letters said...

That song made me laugh. Sorry, if it was meant to be something profound. I'm immature. :P

Waiting? Why are you doubtful r?

Roxana said...

ahhh

folded, i was just talking with b about some other song, related to something on my blog :-) sorry for the confusion, hahaha now i am laughing very hard - sorry, i am immature as well :-)

billoo said...

Yes, this song is crap but it was one from my childhood and it fitted the post just perfectly!

the 'other' song is one I really like though.

Okay. Sorry to interrupt. Continue! :-)

There's something infinitely
pleasurable at just sitting here, out of sight, listening to your conversation. Gosh, does that make me sick or something?!

take care,

b.

Roxana said...

that's siiiick :-P


but the best would be that you give us your password here and can start fooling around with your blog, post each day whatever we want etc. wouldn't this be just great, n? :-)

Folded letters said...

I love it r! But, that might make b paranoid, that we'd somehow managed to figure him out. And we don't want that. hehe No worries b, you are a riddle and a rhyme. Where would the fun be then?

Voyeurism....see now I like your style. I'm going to have to figure out why people are into that. Oh wait, I just remembered who you're watching. We are lovely, aren't we?

Roxana said...

of course we are!!! but i see you were right, i think b has already become paranoid, he got scared and he doesn't even answer us any more :-)